Label Lies

by anitafacundo

Vitaminwater uses colourful, sleek bottles with appealing text to stand out to consumers. By using flavor names such as “endurance”, “focus” and “balance”, we as consumers automatically think we are choosing the healthiest drink in the marketplace. As a previous consumer myself, I automatically think “healthy, smart, motivational and rejuvenating” when I see these attractive bottles. Like my friends and family, I have turned to Vitaminwater has a healthier option to sugar filled soda drinks. It was only until recently that I understood the truth behind their “vitamin infused” water.

In a recent report from Huffington Post, they stated that every bottle contains 33 grams of sugar, making it classify more as a “pop” than healthy beverage. Since I had no idea what 33 grams of sugar looks like, I did some quick calculations and soon realized that 33 grams is equivalent to 8 teaspoons. Another way to look at it is putting 11 sugar packets into your morning coffee. This disgusts me.

Furthermore, Coca-Cola, the current owners of Vitaminwater, have spent millions to use the face of 50 Cent, NBA players such as Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant, Ellen Degeneres and American Idols, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood to persuasively state that these products are a healthy hydration choice for consumers.With Vitaminwater promoting their products to such a broad consumer population, it feels impossible to not fall into their marketing schemes. When 36% of all adults and 17% of all children in the U.S. today are already classified obese, how can a company so well-known think it is ethically acceptable to market themselves so deceptively? It makes me wonder how many of these obese adults have bought Vitaminwater for themselves and their children, and believed they are taking the first steps into a healthier lifestyle.