RE: “How Netflix Knows Who Wants to Watch What”

November 17th, 2013 § 0 comments

While reading through business blogs on Maclean’s, the article “How Netflix Knows Who Wants to Watch What” caught my eye. Right away, I was reminded of the topic covered in class 17- IT and Information System.

In class 17, we discussed ways IT may help a company to earn more profit. For example, online surveys. Before reading the article, I thought about how surveys might have helped Netflix to figure out the market preference. However, it was not what Netflix did. Moreover, what I found interesting was that, Netflix actually used its competitor as a way to boost its business.

Netflix looks at the ranking of the movies and TV shows on free video-streaming sites and use it as a reference for figuring out what is popular right now and the possible films the company should consider getting. The point of difference for Netflix to the free file-sharing sites would be the stable connection and the clarity of the film.

Netflix’s distinct way of incorporating IT in its business and the result of that is rewarding and is reflected through its successful launch in Netherlands in September.