About Me

My name is Ana Maria Fernandez and I am a first year student at UBC in the Faculty of Arts. I was born and raised in Guadalajara, Mexico and I recently moved to Victoria, B.C. in 2011. I enjoy reading, drawing, painting, and want to be an Architect.

My interest in history and English is what mainly drew me to Arts One, but also the format of the course, the focus on writing, the professors, and the small knit community. I really like how you get to study each text from different perspectives and engage with them through the essays.

I chose Group B because Repetition Compulsion seems to go beyond English, history and philosophy, and I also feel a little more familiar with the book list, especially with Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now (my favourite movie), The Odyssey, The Tempest, and the Lyrical Ballads. The rest of the texts I am not familiar with but I like the existentialist theme going on and a lot of the authors (Nietzsche, Rousseau, Hobbes, Freud) are people I have always studied in history class but never actually read their works. I am also excited for the contemporary authors like Margaret Atwood and Ian Hacking.

I hope I get to learn a lot and come out of this program with new ideas.