Short Essay Stephen Zhu

I must give my warmest  applause to all the group mates who has participated in the preparation and the production of this video. I really have to say everyone in our group has really done an outstanding job to create such an amazing video. Without being physically participated in the process of making the video, we can never understand how difficult it is to produce a high-quality music videos, not to mention we were just producing a cover video. For this cover video assignment, I mainly worked as the camera man and the assistant for our director Tong Lin. Due to the fact that I was too busy during the time of the video shoot so I will be taking more responsibility in the production of the second video.

When we were planing the video, we figured that the video editing will be a time-consuming task so we started the production process pretty early. Tong Lin and I had tried to closely analysis the original music video frame by frame to gain a basic understand of all the elements in the video. I think the most difficult part is to learn and imitate the camera angle in every scene of the original music, since the camera angle follows the beats of the music and the performance, so we had to rapidly zoom-in and out and move around following the music. Moreover, the lack of professional equipments adds an additional level of difficulties, cause the original music video was filmed by more then 2 to 3 cameras simultaneously in multiple different angles. With only 1 camera, we had to have the girls dance the same move again and again so we can capture the group dances from different angle.

Although there were a lot of difficulties in  producing the video, but the overall process is still fun and aspirational. As someone who had never participated in filming music videos prior to this course, I have to say it really allows me to understand how much effort that the pros put in to create those amazing videos.