Cover Video Reflection

Tong

As a nine-year SONE (fan of Girl’s Generation), I have only watched and admired the aesthetics and remarkable performance in the girl group’s music videos over the years. However, this project offered me an opportunity to simulate the production process of KPOP music videos. I decided to maximize my participation in different roles to gain holistic experience. Being a photographer, a dancer, and the only editor of this cover video provides me unique insight of KPOP video production and elevated my respect and admiration for producers because our experience was only a simplistic simulation.

After choosing “Lil’ Touch”, their latest video, our member Shuwei Zhou has spent several days figuring out the choreography. We spent days learning it and shot our cover dancing and lip-syncing at Rose Garden, the Nest, and Life Building. From the filming process, I have acquired skills in setting angles and capturing the motion of dancers, as well as creating adequate video composition to maximize visual attractiveness. Since I also danced, memorizing moves and blocking was challenging for a physically disoriented person like me, not to mention displaying appropriate expressions when dancing, but the choreography was my glimpse into how girl groups display physical attractiveness through body movements. Editing was the most insightful for me because I learned basics of Adobe Premiere Pro without previous knowledge. I adopted skills in accurately chunking and matching video clips to sync dancing with music and organizing raw footage onto a smooth, aesthetically pleasing timeline. Without blending in variety of shots, plain dancing would be less attractive. As an editor I realized the importance of kaleidoscopic transitions in KPOP videos, and I appreciate such extensive hard work behind each production. I am grateful to participate in this meaningful project with helpful and motivated teammates.