Skip navigation

IMG_5958[1]

I recent visited Mexico. It is a life changing experience to me in many aspects. Since this is marketing blog post, therefore I’ll blog about the marketing tactics that I experienced during this trip. My girlfriend suggested that we should visit an archaeological site as an activity. Once we arrived, I started the research at the local tour stores.

On the hotel zone strip Kukulcan Avenue, me and my girlfriend were bombarded by local sales people with tickets in their hands. They all have the same sales pitch, such as ” low prices, cheap, lots of fun, trust me amigos” ….etc. We were’t give details or info about their trips or offers at all. This is all very confusing and different from the marketing style from North America.

The”hurry-buy now-cheap” tactic forced me to stop and think “Who should I go with?”  These guys are doing it all wrong. There is no differentiation in terms of benefits. No segmentation of markets, no target audiences, no positioning against its competitions, everyone selling the same product and treating different guests as the same buyer…

I understand that Mexico is a relatively poor country compared to Canada, and it related to their level of education with that problem, so it make sense that their marketing strategies will be less sophisticated. I think that teaching them what I learned in 296 will greatly help them maximize profits for their Mayan people.

But not all Mexican salesman are the same. Until I bumped into Fernando, he was different. He recognized that we were looking for detailed historical guides and comfortable bus rides. So he sold us a package that completely fitted our needs.

Thanks Fernando!

One Comment

1. Thanks for the blog. http://www.fooddoz.com