An Apology

Hi all,

I owe my apologies. I have been absent from this blog for over a month now and I believe I owe an explanation. Warning: heavy read ahead, I’ll try to lighten it up.

The transition to university is hard, really really hard. I’m sure there are more than a few people who can attest to this. I went to high school in a little town where most people who graduate don’t even go on to post-secondary. Most of my graduating class either directly entered the work force or a select few were going on to do 2 year programs at the community college. Don’t get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with either of these choices but it was simply never for me. I am one of three people from my graduating class who left our town to go to university.

Needless to say, your surroundings have some influence on the degree of education you receive. I was lucky enough to have a handful of committed teachers that would move mountains for students who wanted to achieve but nonetheless, the tools I needed to prepare myself for this major life change where simply not there. Our “career counsellor” advised me to look into plumbing when I told her I wanted to pursue a degree in International Relations and I was told at a “career fair” that the world wouldn’t always need people in International Relations and I should pursue something more practical, like work in the oil industry. I fought my way through high school trying to push for resources to help me get to where I wanted to be and luckily enough I succeeded.

My mom and sister dropped me off here September 3 after a full day of moving in. I walked back into my room and for only the second time in my entire life, I was completely alone. Weeks went on, I got myself involved in the blog squad and other student organizations, I rushed and received a bid for a sorority, I made friends in both my classes and my residence but there was always something in the back of my mind that, despite being surrounded by people, I was alone. I missed my family, my cat, going on little adventures with my two close friends, coffee dates with my boyfriend; all in all, I was making myself miserable by being stuck in the past.

I felt myself descending into a rut; I wasn’t going to events, I was no long eating as healthy as I should be, I stopped exercising, I wasn’t following through on my commitments. I was letting people down left, right, and centre and for that I am so sorry. The hardest thing for me to comprehend is that I knew it was happening, I could feel it every day that things were not right and yet I kept on allowing myself to sink lower and lower into this rut. It got to a point where I didn’t want to get out of bed; I was content to say nothing, be nothing, act like nothing which, if you’ve ever spent any time with me, if extraordinarily out of character. Over the course of three short weeks I almost lost myself; I wasn’t motivated to create change, I wasn’t applying myself to my academics, and I wasn’t pursuing the things I love.

Luckily my story has a happy ending; I’ve been working each and every day to pull myself up and put myself to work. I can see that cliché light at the end of the tunnel and that’s become what I’m striving for. Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case. Student’s mental health is lower than ever and action needs to be taken. I would encourage anyone who can relate to the above little rant at all, first year or not to reach out. UBC has fantastic counselling services avaliable in Marine Drive and although I did not use them, I wish I would’ve. There’s also so many opportunities to make your voice heard in regards to student mental health – and I would challenge you all to make your voice heard, whether through your respective undergrad society or the AMS, make them listen. I am planning on diving head first into this blog again and adding a section on wellbeing and I hope you all will tune in.

Finally, to those who are still struggling; as overused as this phrase it please take it to heart, keep going. The road to recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. Start small, find something every day that makes you smile. For example, there was the fluffiest squirrel outside my window this morning and I saw a cute dog on my way to class. Reach out, find a support network and let them help you; helping yourself however is just as, if not more, important. You are strong. You are empowered. You are wonderful. And you are incredible.

Let’s all smile a little brighter and stand a little taller today everyone. My conclusion to this whole thing comes best in the world of perhaps the smartest professor ever, Albus Dumbledore: “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light.”

Love,

Mikayla

My First FarmAde Experience

So I was so very lucky to attend the 14th annual FarmAde on Friday night and it was such an incredible experience. I came fully armed with my camera and notepad, not 100% sure what I was getting myself into. I’ve lived in a big city the majority of my life and even when I lived in a smaller farming community, I distanced myself from it as much as possible unless it was farmer’s markets. Coming up Ross Drive, you could hear the music playing and smell the smoke coming off the BBQ. The entire event had such a beautiful and comfortable atmosphere surrounding it.

dsc_0719

My first stop was at the welcome booth where I had the chance to speak with Su, one of the event coordinators with AMS. When I asked her for four words to describe the event, she told me community, sustainability, music, and food. To Su, her favourite part of FarmAde is the idea of having everyone in the community included through hosting an event that appeals to everyone. All of these were immediately evident upon entering the event. There were people of all ages, evidence of sustainable production, live music, and the smell of the food coming off the BBQ. All in all, FarmAde was described to be as an event where everyone had the opportunity to have a good time.

dsc_0737dsc_0736

Everyone I could see was having such a fun time with all the activities (the little guy wasn’t so sure of my big camera)

My next little mini interview was with Marko from UBC Sustainability. My main goal when speaking to him was to find out a little more about UBC’s commitment to sustainability which he was very kind in providing me answers. He talked about how UBC is committed not only to minimizing the damage done on our environment but also in improving the environmental and human wellbeing of our community. He told me of their goal of creating a happier, healthier, and more sustainable community here on campus, something I was very excited to hear. What really impressed me with the commitment level of UBC Sustainability was when Marko spoke in regards to taking responsibility for educating the large number of future leaders we have on campus to create the next generation of change makers that are well-versed in sustainability and its importance. You can learn more about UBC Sustainability at sustain.bc.ca or on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram @ubcsustainability.

I then walked around and visited all the little booths that were set up and I wanted to let you all know about some of the amazing opportunities the environmental and sustainable community on campus provides students.

Student Environmental Centre:

Definitely check these guys out on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/secubc/?fref=ts). They’re a student group that provided resources to the community that encourage or promote environmental consciousness and sustainability through providing the funding to bring projects to life. They also run something called Free Store which is like a thrift store but with no money involved. If you can make it out, their next meeting is on Monday at 4 o’clock in the Nest in room 2102 and then after there’s going to be a really cool opportunity; watching a movie powered by a bicycle! UBC is one of Cinécyclo’s stops along their route to Argentina and they will be demonstrating their “pedal powered mobile cinema to screen movies that raise awareness and protect our ecosystems and meet local environmental and sustainability organizations” (UBC SEC’s Facebook page). I would definitely encourage everyone to go check it out, seems like it’ll be a really cool event.

dsc_0720

Sprouts:

You can find more information on their website ubcsprouts.ca and also on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ubcsprouts/?fref=ts). They’re always looking for volunteers so if you’re passionate about organic, local, and fair trade food you should check them out. A really neat idea of theirs is what’s called Sprouts Box’s. You’ve heard how there’s a subscription box for everything under the sun nowadays, well now you can get one directly from UBC! They haven’t quite started up yet but the idea is that every week you’ll be able to pick up or have delivered a box of fresh, seasonal produce along with tips and recipes. Pricing information is going to be posted on Facebook so definitely like them so you can get all that info when it’s posted. If you’re looking to find Sprouts or Seedlings for a delicious meal find them at the locations below.

Sprouts: The Pit Pub in the Nest during the day

Seedlings: In the penthouse above Koerner’s Pub (this location won’t be open until the 19th)

dsc_0738

AMS Sustainability:

The people from AMS Sustainability were kind enough to provide me with a little write up describing their newest project, something I’m a huge supporter of!

“AMS Sustainability has partnered with Common Energy, Sprouts, Seedlings, and Agora to bring back the Mugshare program that was piloted earlier this year. The Mugshare program aims to reduce the need for students to buy disposable coffee cups on campus, thereby reducing waste. The program is being operated out of the new Student Life and Sustainability Centre (SLSC) on the lower level of the AMS Student Nest. Students can sign up to become members of the program by paying a $5 deposit and scanning their UBC Student Cards into the system. Mugs can be borrowed and returned (clean or dirty because they’ll be washed in a dishwasher after each use) at the SLSC, and members can borrow only one mug at a time. The mugs can be used at any outlet on campus that allows customers to bring reusable mugs. Drop by the SLSC anytime between 12-5pm Mondays-Thursdays to sign up for the program! Please send questions or comments to sustainability@ams.ubc.ca.”

dsc_0726dsc_0724

CITR:

You can tune in to this lovely radio station at 101.9fm and also check out their publication, Discorder Magazine. Anyone who picks up their AMS First Week Kit gets a copy of it, so once again, go get those kits! If you want to actually make a trip down to the station, you can find them under Pie R Squared in the Nest or check them out at CITR.ca

dsc_0733

UBC Farm: 

How cute are those list bags from UBC farm, right now I’ve been told that they’re exclusive to the Farmer’s Market on Saturday’s out at the farm. Saturday’s are a really busy day out here; they host a full farmer’s market alongside other vendors from around the area as well as farm tours. If your Saturday’s are all full and you’re just dying for some fresh produce, they also host a small market outside the bookstore on Wednesdays. If you’re interested in volunteering you can always find more information about that at ubcfarm.ubc.ca.

dsc_0728

dsc_0727

dsc_0732dsc_0730dsc_0729

Wesbrook & The Old Barn Community Centres:

This was my last stop but I’m glad I did because I was able to get a copy of their Fall Program Guide. You can find out more information on their wide array of programs for all ages at wearecommunityvan.ca. They offer classes in sports, fitness, dance, yoga, arts, languages, education, and more. Also, you can attend several of their community events. I flipped through the guide and there’s seriously something for everyone so definitely check them out!

dsc_0735

And then there was the food. I went with the grassfed burger, it was actually quite wonderful! My favourite was probably the homemade ketchup and the fresh greens available to top your food with. I also had some apple juice that was really refreshing.  I really enjoyed my meal and it was the perfect way to end my time at the event.

dsc_0742

All in all, I was so thankful for the opportunity to go and check out FarmAde, it was such a cool event and I would encourage all of you to go and check out the groups mentioned above and hit up the Farmer’s Market. We are lucky to live somewhere so green and I’m so glad that there are so many groups of people working to protect it.

My apologies for not getting this posted sooner, I unfortunately came down with an awful case of the flu and really didn’t get out of bed for most of the weekend. Stay tuned though you guys, I have a whole pack of posts in my queue that are super exciting and I can’t wait for you to read them.

As always,

Mikayla

FarmAde Friday

So in light of it being near the beginning of AMS First Week here on campus I have decided to change things up this friday and have FarmAde Friday instead of Fashion Friday! Don’t worry though, I’ve included a cute little fall outfit at the end which is what I’ll be wearing tonight at the event but is perfect for a somewhat chilly day like today.

I was lucky enough to receive on of the AMS First Week Kits for free in exchange for my coverage of these events and seriously, its so cool. If you haven’t already picked yours up I would definitely recommend buying one. Not only does it give you free access to all AMS First Week events such as FarmAde, Welcome Back BBQ, and Homecoming but you also get a bag full of goodies from some amazing sponsors.

A little breakdown of what’s included in the kit

image

• Some sunglasses and some info on Free Range TV provided by Shaw
  • A pass for $5 off a season pass to home games from the UBC Thunderbirds
  • Some information regarding the Whistler Backcomb Student Pass (heads up you can pick up passes at UBC on November 23!) as well as a drink cozy
  • Some post-its (a student’s best friend) and some information from Beat Your Course which from the information I’ve gotten seems like a pretty good idea for students in math and science courses
  • A can of The Yellow Edition Red Bull which is apparently a tropical flavour
  • A coupon for 10% off lights, locks, and helmets when you buy a bike from The Bike Kitchen
  • The Ubyssey’s Guide to UBC
  • Some page marker post its from the bookstore
  • Another post it book (I’m in heaven) from Action Athletic Wear
  • A copy of Discorder magazine and a sticker with CITR Discorder’s logo on it
  • A tattoo and little soccer ball stress ball as well as a voucher to access 2 for 1 Tickets to see the Vancouver Whitecaps play
  • A canvas drawstring bag from Sol beer company
  • A faux-leather bound notebook from XX Dos Equis with a little clock charm (my apologies if I cited either of those companies wrong, I’m not an avid beer consumer! Please let me know in the comments if I have made a mistake and it will be corrected)
  • A bag that contains a safe-sex kit (very important everyone) as well as some information from the SASC. Realistically, I was most excited by the cat bag, not going to lie.
  • From the AMS themselves you get a copy of the First Week schedule, a coupon book for some of the businesses in The Nest (there’s so many good deals!) a snazzy water bottle to keep you hydrated while you’re out partying, a portable phone charger so you can snapchat the night away, a bandana, a folder, and of course the drawstring bag everything comes in.

So now you have absolutely no reason to not go and pick up one of these bags ASAP.

I’m so excited to be heading out to FarmAde tonight. As someone who grew up watching my great-grandparents and grandmother keep a garden, the idea of learning more about sustainable food systems really excites me. I will be posting a full event review tomorrow full of pictures of the event as well as some more information about what all went down. If you can come out, FarmAde runs tonight from 3 – 8:30! It looks like it’ll be full of good food and good times so make your way out to the UBC Farm! I will be there from 4 – 5:30 if you want to come say hi and get your picture taken for my blog enjoying the event. I’ll be the one in the green dress with the fancy camera, hope to see you all there!

image

As promised to keep with my theme of Fashion Fridays, I’ll give you a quick run down of my outfit of the day. I chose an emerald green swing dress from H&M; it’s one of my favourite because it has pockets! I paired this with a denim jacket this morning but ditched it later as it got warmer. I added on a red plaid scarf as my accessory along with black matte leather ballet flats that were both from Spring. You could also wear a more patterned shoe with this and then switch the scarf for a necklace (in the summers, I wear cheetah print flats and a gold necklace with this dress).

As always, stay tuned for more posts coming soon!

As always,

Mikayla

Move In Day!

Well, this is it I guess. Yesterday was residence move in day, and let me tell you, it’s up there on the list of busiest days of my life. As hectic and, at moments, chaotic as it was, I had so much fun setting up my own little space. I’m really excited to be living in Totem Park this year and honestly cannot wait for the school year to get started. As someone who came to university from out of province, it didn’t really seem real until yesterday.

I have to commend all of the volunteers yesterday who allowed the events to move smoothly and with ease despite such a high volume of students & parents all trying to get to the same place. They were instrumental to making the day such an enjoyable experience and I’m so grateful to all those who helped out.

So, I’m a huge planning freak so when I found out the type of room I was living in I immediately sketched up how I wanted to position everything in my room which I found really helpful, especially when I was shopping for things to actually go in my room. I picked out my colour scheme probably a week after I submitted my residence application so I knew right off the bat when shopping the type of pieces I wanted for my room. Trust me, I spent many a night scouring Pinterest, Target, Pottery Barn, etc. for inspiration and pieces to elevate my dorm room. Even with all my planning, I was still shocked when I walked in and found out how small the room really was. I’m so thankful for all the built in storage I have, I couldn’t have done it without it. I also vastly underestimated some of the things I needed so I’m planning a big Ikea trip to finish up my room.

After all the hustle and bustle was over, it was so cool to attend my first university football game! A huge congratulations to our UBC Thunderbirds for their victory over the University of Alberta Golden Bears. The energy in the stadium was crazy and the overflowing school support warmed my heart. I’m a football fan and the game kept me entertained and cheering all night long.

I’m personally really excited to be starting classes soon and really getting into the swing of things. My question of the day is what are you most looking forward to this new school year? Leave me a comment down below and let me know!

I can’t wait to share more posts with you guys, so please stay tuned for more in the future. This Tuesday, I’m going to be talking about a day trip down to Seattle and all the exciting things to do and see there.

Until next time,

Mikayla