Week 2 Learning Group Policy Presentation
In the second week the Learning Groups will select one of the following policies to consider in relation to the place of the UBC campus, with a specific emphasis on Brock Commons and the U Boulevard Area (https://planning.ubc.ca/vancouver/planning-areas/u-boulevard-area ):
- Sustainable Development, Policy #5, http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2010/08/policy5.pdf
- Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities, Policy #73, http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2010/08/policy73.pdf
- Land Use and Permitting, Policy #92, http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2013/05/policy92.pdf
- Sexual Assault and Other Sexual Misconduct, Policy #131, http://universitycounsel.ubc.ca/files/2017/05/policy131_final.pdf
We will take a tour of the Brock Commons construction through the UBC Sustainability Campus Tours program, and also explore the U Boulevard Area. Students will work in their Learning Groups throughout the tour to consider their selected policy in relation to the space being explored. On the last day of the week each group will present for 15 minutes, sharing with the class their analysis of the policy in relation to place. Presentations should answer/address the following questions:
- Is the policy made visible in this place (Brock Commons and U Boulevard development), or not? Please provide examples.
- Is place understood or recognized by this policy, or not?
- Should place be considered in this policy? Why or why not?