Less Incentive to Shop in Canada

It is interesting to see Canadians crossing the border in hopes of better sales even as our dollar drops to lows of 88 cents and is expected to reach 84 cents, a level that hasn’t been seen since 2009. Canadians are not choosing to shop at home because there is little to no incentive and flee in search of US bargains.

As a retail addict naturally I spend my time at the mall in search of killer deals, but retail in Canada seems to come with a lot of frustration. In search of a winter coat I came upon a largely known retailer offering a $25 gift card with the purchase of $100 or more. From an advertising perspective I felt they had done enough as I, the consumer, was enticed. A closer look at the fine print revealed I could only use the $25 on my next purchase, before the 11th, and it could only be used on the purchase of a dress. What’s next, are they are going to restrict me to the colour blue? When is a starving student, such as myself, going to use $25 towards a dress in the dead of winter?

Even if their tactic was to sell more dresses this winter season they lacked a great deal of integration and fluidity among department heads. Whichever accountant crunched the numbers for this so called ‘sale’, on for a very short time period, needs to better integrate their strategies with those marketing to the consumer. And try to stay clear of the fine print please.

Sincerely, a consumer.

Strauss, Marina. “Retailers Face ‘Bah Humbug’ Festive Season as Consumers Tighten Wallets.” The Globe and Mail. 30 Oct. 2014. Web. 10 Nov. 2014.

Buckner, Dianne. “E-commerce Explosion Coming for 2014 Holiday Shopping: Dianne Buckner.” MSN News. CBC, 2 Nov. 2014. Web. 10 Nov. 2014.