Unit 4 – Self-Assessment

English 301 is undoubtedly a very unique course. The course focused on practical writing pieces including writing definitions, writing a job application letter and resume, creating a LinkedIn profile,  writing business letters and more. 

Through this course, some of my strengths include learning from other people’s work  while my weaknesses include reflecting my work and not having background knowledge. Learning from other people’s work is one of my strengths as it helps to understand areas that my peers have been successful on and areas that I would need to review on for my work. Peer reviews in this course have been especially helpful for me as one of my weaknesses is reflecting and editing my work. When I finish my work, I often upload it very soon and when I edit my work, I often do not know what areas to focus on. Therefore, peer reviews offer an opportunity to spend time and review other people’s work to which then I can acknowledge areas to be careful of when I revise my work in the future.

Another weakness would be not having experience is business writing. As I do not have many opportunities to write formally other than essays, it was challenging to write in a new style and format. Another example would be that I do not have a LinkedIn profile prior to this course. I did not feel the immediate need to and therefore have not created an account before. Therefore, this course offered opportunities to experience writing styles and tools that would be beneficial in the future. 

My strengths of being an attentive learning is useful for the future as I hope to work with children and it is important to be attentive to detail as children will need more support from adults. Furthermore, my acquired skills of various professional writing is important for my future as knowing how to write application letters and a good resume is crucial to finding a job. It is especially important as I will be graduating in spring and finding a job is one of my priorities.