Introduction

Hey all!

My name is Chiara and I am a second-year student at UBC’s faculty of Arts, majoring in psychology and hoping to minor in creative writing. I will admit, I did take this course mainly to make up my literature requirement [inserts sheepish emoji here], however I’ve always loved reading and writing as well as English Literature. Which is another reason I picked this. I was so glad I got to take a class I found genuinely intriguing alongside fulfilling a requirement. I am looking forward to the books we will be reading in this class very much, especially since my focus in literature has been mostly on metaphysical and classical, less on those written and created during the romantic era.

I think it is so interesting how it is called romance studies and yet has just about nothing to do with any of the regular conventions people place on or associate with the word ‘romance.’ To me, it is a different kind of romance to be able to find and follow as deep as one can, the roots of a creation from a bygone time. [yeah, I tried to be fancy here ;)] I am really excited for this course and can’t wait to start a new adventure!

Read 2 comments

1. Hi Chiara! I am majoring in Psych as well! The way it has nothing to do with actual romance is really interesting to me as well. But I really liked your (fancy) thoughts putting romance through the lens of a different perspective. I enjoyed reading your blog!

2. Hey Chiara! I am currently still in my first year but I hope to major in Psychology! I also took this course to fulfill my literature requirement as well, but the novels did interest me. I was also surprised to find that Romance Studies does not seem to be related to anything romantic.