“The Afterlife Of A T-Shirt” by NPR’s Planet Money

September 12th, 2015 § 0 comments

While taking a break to tidy up my living space, I was listening to a podcast. It was “The Afterlife Of A T-Shirt” by NPR’s Planet Money.

Planet Money describes itself as:

“…a joint project of NPR and This American Life, which focuses on coverage of the global economy. Imagine you could call up a friend and say, “Meet me at the bar and tell me what’s going on with the economy.” Now imagine that’s actually a fun evening. That’s what we’re going for at Planet Money.”

This episode was hugely enjoyable, with the hosts narrating story of used clothing leaving the U.S. (world’s biggest exporter of used clothes, first new fact of the day!) towards their next stage of life. New clothes are made, shipped and then bought. After they’re used, their owners get rid of them. But where do they go next? It’s important to understand the lifecycle of the things we use, I think, to make good decisions as sustainable humans. That the clothes could become stuffing for toys, rags for cleaning things or even vintage clothing (a real money spinner) is in a way reassuring, because now I know they don’t go straight into landfills.

Podcast link:

http://www.npr.org/…episode-502-the-afterlife-of-a-t-shirt