The Growing World of Technology

In today’s society, the ever-growing advancements in technology continue to amaze me. After exploring through various pages on the UBC Blog website, I discovered a post written by one of my peers that got me thinking. “Echo Boom!” by Simrat Tatla, illustrates the fact that people are relying more and more on technology, as it is becoming a way of life. The 10.4 million millennials born in the last decade grew up exposed to yearly innovations, as companies introduced new editions of a current product, creating an entirely new desire for that product. As mentioned in the post “Echo Boom!” Apple illustrates this perfectly with the launch of the Iphone. In 2007, Apple introduced the Iphone to the markets, which was followed by the Iphone 3G in 2008, the Iphone 3GS in 2009, the Iphone 4 in 2010 and finally the Iphone 4S in 2011. When each edition was introduced, it was as if customers had never used or seen the product before and had to have it.

How did Apple create such hype and succeed in selling millions of these products that are essentially the same?

I continuously refer to Apple in my blog posts because they are truly a company who has created a valuable image and has achieved a high status in consumer’s minds. Apple’s new editions of a product appear as entirely new pieces of technology to consumers as the company attracts the innovators of the world. Innovators are people that want to be the first to acquire and try a new product. Apple has succeeded in developing a customer base of innovators who when they see a new edition of a product, must have it the next day. They are the individuals who will wait in line days before a product is in the store, just to be the first ones to have it.

As the world continues to grow with technologically savvy individuals, companies who remain innovative and create a reputable brand for themselves will succeed. If they can attract the innovators of the world, the early adopters and early majority will not fall far behind, as in the case of Apple.