Direct Marketing – They put the PRO in Proactive

During Monday’s class, we had a long discussion about the different types of direct marketing and their benefit to both consumers and sellers. For those of you who need a refresher, direct marketing is connecting directly with carefully targeted individual consumers to both obtain an immediate response and cultivate lasting customer relationships. There is an abundance of different forms of direct marketing such as online marketing, direct-mail marketing, kiosk marketing and telemarketing. However, the specific form a company relies on, depends greatly on its marketing mix and overall business strategy. For example, a company such as lululemon would not merely rely on online marketing to sell its products, as many customers desire the personable and interactive experience of going into a lululemon store and trying on the clothes to ensure they are the appropriate size and fit. However, there are many companies who rely only on one or two forms of direct marketing and have accomplished enormous business success. In class when we were reviewing info commercials as a form of direct marketing, I immediately thought of the acne product Proactive. Proactive is a company that uses direct marketing as a simple way to sell its product. The company has not once sold its products in stores but instead uses kiosk marketing, online marketing and info commercials, which has evidently, led its product to be the number one acne fighting solution. By using celebrity endorsements, such as the notorious Justin Bieber, and real life success stories of its users, the company can directly relate to its consumers, therefore attracting them to the business. Direct marketing can be a very simple and effective way in selling a product, however, referring back to the overall theme of marketing, it must create value for the customer and be seen as a product that will benefit them. Proactive is a perfect example of a company who found much success in marketing its product by a simple yet influential marketing tool called direct marketing. That my friends, is what I call good marketing. 🙂

YouTube Preview Image

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

The Pyschology of Music

After reviewing a few of my peer’s blogs, I discovered a very enlightening,
and refreshing post titled “A Colorful Impact,” by Aleksandar Novakovic. It illustrates the impact of corporate logos on consumer responses due to a simple thing known as colour. Consumer taste and preferences are constantly changing, therefore companies need to identify and take advantage of key psychological factors, such as the effects of different colours, that will cause consumers to create an emotional attachment to their brand. Companies are spending mass amounts of time and money developing and evaluating marketing research that will allow them to tap into consumer minds and understand their purchasing choices, evidently changing their marketing strategy accordingly.

In addition to colour, many companies have discovered the physiological effect of music on consumer’s buying behaviors. Research indicates that volume, speed and type of music can have profound effect on product preferences and brand loyalty. Consumers are much more likely to buy products when the music is either aligned with the product, or the product is advertised in conjunction with music they enjoy. Google and World Vision are perfect examples of companies who have used the psychology of music in their marketing strategy by pairing their brands commercial with emotionally stimulating songs. Google’s commercial for Google+ plays the song “Under pressure” by Queen and David Bowie as they present videos of the colourful, fun Muppet characters having a good time dancing and “just hanging out”. The song’s reference to being under pressure in various life situations, is offset by the happy, colourful Muppet’s which creates a sense of relaxation and comfort for the customer when they think of the Google brand. Similarly, World Vision, a not-for-profit organization, plays the song “In the Arms of An Angel,” by Sarah McLaughlin while showing tragic images of starving children living in Africa. The heartbreaking images paired with the sad music evoke an emotion in people to want to help. Emotional response can have a powerful impact on memory. Advertising that uses emotionally stimulating colour, music and powerful imagery can create a strong emotional response in the consumer. Numerous studies have shown that the most vivid memories tend to be of emotional events, which are likely to be recalled more often and with more clarity and detail than neutral events.

YouTube Preview Image

The Growing World of Technology

In today’s society, the ever-growing advancements in technology continue to amaze me. After exploring through various pages on the UBC Blog website, I discovered a post written by one of my peers that got me thinking. “Echo Boom!” by Simrat Tatla, illustrates the fact that people are relying more and more on technology, as it is becoming a way of life. The 10.4 million millennials born in the last decade grew up exposed to yearly innovations, as companies introduced new editions of a current product, creating an entirely new desire for that product. As mentioned in the post “Echo Boom!” Apple illustrates this perfectly with the launch of the Iphone. In 2007, Apple introduced the Iphone to the markets, which was followed by the Iphone 3G in 2008, the Iphone 3GS in 2009, the Iphone 4 in 2010 and finally the Iphone 4S in 2011. When each edition was introduced, it was as if customers had never used or seen the product before and had to have it.

How did Apple create such hype and succeed in selling millions of these products that are essentially the same?

I continuously refer to Apple in my blog posts because they are truly a company who has created a valuable image and has achieved a high status in consumer’s minds. Apple’s new editions of a product appear as entirely new pieces of technology to consumers as the company attracts the innovators of the world. Innovators are people that want to be the first to acquire and try a new product. Apple has succeeded in developing a customer base of innovators who when they see a new edition of a product, must have it the next day. They are the individuals who will wait in line days before a product is in the store, just to be the first ones to have it.

As the world continues to grow with technologically savvy individuals, companies who remain innovative and create a reputable brand for themselves will succeed. If they can attract the innovators of the world, the early adopters and early majority will not fall far behind, as in the case of Apple.

Consistency leads to Trust.

For the first three weeks of Commerce 296 – Marketing, we’ve placed great emphasis in class discussions on the concept of companies creating value for their customers. How do they do this? Well, as described on Drew’s Marketing Minute its all about the “know, like, trust” model, illustrating the importance of consistency in creating trust, subsequently leading to an increase in sales.  Consistency is core to a successful company, as when you develop a relationship with a new customer, they develop expectations and require the same degree of quality in every transaction with your company.  Although it is important for a company to stay innovated and create market methods to attract new customers, existing customers choose your company over others because it provides them with a product they like and is consistent.

One blog featured on Drew’s Marketing Minute, asks the question “How are you building your marketing foundation?” which is a crucial question companies need to think about when creating and implementing their marketing strategy. What products are they offering? How will these products attract and retain customers? As described in the post, trust is key. If a customer has trust in a company, they will continue to come back and maintain this sense of loyalty. How can companies build this trust? By maintaining consistency in their products and services, which is more than likely the reason why consumers choose their product over competitors.

Creating value for your customers is one of the most important elements in a successful company. Customers want consistency in a products quality. By ensuring this consistency a company can create value for themselves and eventually develop long-term customer relationship.

Blog 1: An Introduction

Hello everyone!

My name is Cicely Finamore and I am a second year Sauder student prospecting to do a double major in Accounting and Marketing. I have lived in Canada my entire life and grew up in a medium sized city called Port Moody, which is conveniently only an hour away from UBC! Although the course Comm. 296 is required to graduate, this is not the reason why I am taking it. I ultimately want a career in Accounting but I want to have the knowledge and ability of a marketer, which is my passion. I have had the great pleasure of experiencing both the role of a consumer and the role of a marketer. Which role do I like better? That depends on the purpose I am trying to pursue as a marketer or the value I am expecting to receive as a consumer. Recently I was appointed the Vice President of Marketing for the Style and the City 2012 Conference in March. This opportunity gave me a chance to learn about the complex steps that go into a marketing plan and the ways to create value for your brand and consumer. After having had the experience of a marketer for Style and the City, I now have a new appreciation and passion for the topic.

As I mentioned in class I am a die heart fan of Apple’s Macs! I don’t have one favourite ad but a series of ads which I consider to be my favourite, the Mac ads which feature actor Justin Long. I have attached a must-see YouTube clip featuring a collection of my favourite Mac ads. Although the ads are quiet simple they state facts that consumers would not normally think of but once mentioned are quiet obvious and comical.

Lastly something personal about myself, other then being completely obsessed with Apple products, I have been a server at De Dutch Pannekoek for 6 years. I am assuming that most of you who know De Dutch are drooling at the mention of its name, best Pannekoeks in Canada!

Feel free to post on my blog or send me a message throughout the semester if you have any questions or comments about one of my postings! Looking forward to studying marketing this semester!

YouTube Preview Image

Social Entrepreneurs at their best!

When the question “what defines a social enterprise?” was asked during class 20, I initially thought of local non-profit charities from my hometown which provide services and products to help solve community issues.

However, following the class I soon learned the true meaning of the term, acknowledging that a social enterprise exists in its own distinct category, differentiating it from both charities and traditional enterprises. The main goal of a social enterprise is to make profit in order to solve a social problem, which Paul Polak, the founder of International Development Enterprises, accomplished. He saw an opportunity and took the leap of faith that allowed him to succeed in lifting 17 million people out of poverty. The objective of International Development Enterprises (IDE) is to help farm families, who are fighting poverty, increase their income by improving market access, increasing agricultural production and creating sustainable local business. By using profits and applying market base strategies, IDE is reaching one step further to achieving their social mission of ending poverty.

Gaining the knowledge on the true meaning of a social entrepreneur has greatly deepened my appreciation and view of their main motives. The achievements and purposes of social enterprises are very inspirational, myself being a highly involved participant in volunteering, wanting to offer as much as I can in solving social issues. If someone were to now ask me “what defines a social enterprise?” I would be able to tell them the true definition, expressing passion and admiration when doing so.

IKEA AS AN ENTREPRENEUR

For all of us the move into our dorms at UBC was an exciting adventure which we couldn’t wait to embark upon. But the most anticipated part was the shop for new furniture which meant a trip to IKEA! Based on the reading about entreperual traits, it became clear that IKEA, a company of growth and innovation, encompasses many aspects of a successful entrepreneur.

IKEA began as a very small business, the founder, Ingvar Kamprada, simple selling wallets, jewelry and stockings. However in 1947 he took a risk, introducing furniture into the product line, a costly move, yet a decision that allowed the company to develop into an entrepreneurship. The reading states that an entrepreneurship must possess innovation which IKEA furniture clearly has, having numerous designers create fresh ideas monthly.

The self- service store design and easy assembly of their furniture allows the company to offer lower costs and obtain a rapid wealth creation of 12 billion annually. The company faces many risks such as having customers purchase their furniture unassembled, yet compensate by providing high customer quality, low prices, and free children’s play area, allowing mothers to shop peacefully.

IKEA distinguishes itself greatly from a small business as it combines each trait and definition in the reading. It is a store of great innovation and low costs which has allowed me to move into my dorm easily while still having some money in my pocket!

Looking to update your dorm rooms style? Check out Ikea’s newly designed products!

Fighting the battle between merging cultures

What is organizational culture? What differentiates a weak one from a strong one? Does success come from combining a company of a strong culture with one of a mediocre culture?

Zappo, a company which demonstrates incredible culture built on creating happiness for employees, sellers and, of course, customers was recently bought by Amazon, an organization which displays the complete opposite. They prefer to keep a distance from their customers, however compensate with their website and order fulfillment. One of my favourite writers, Seth Godin, emphasizes in one of his blog postings the fact that Amazon bought Zappo for all the right reasons, as Zappo is “a business model that’s remarkable and worth talking about.”

Organizational culture is defined as a pattern of shared values, beliefs and assumptions that are considered the appropriate way to think and act within an organization.

However, how can two companies with completely different values succeed in combining into one? The question is, who will learn from whom in establishing a set culture in the merging of the two companies? Will Amazon take on Zappos almost perfect customer service, in which employees engage in daily twitters or will Zappo’s slowly develop detachment from their customer service?

Class 17 taught us the importance of company culture which leads me to express my hopes that Zappo will maintain their exceptional reputation and customer service!

Watch this video to learn more about Zappo’s company culture!
Example of employees who love their jobs!
YouTube Preview Image

Positive outcomes of SOCIAL MEDIA; man spends his days live on the internet in his underwear!

During Class 8 of COMM 101, I was really amazed to discover the amount of social media that is being used in today’s society and the immense impact it can have on the reputation or promotion of a company. Following the class, I became highly interested in knowing the amount of organisations who depend on social media to either advertise their product/service or monitor the destructive PR which some critiques may cast. However, as I was searching the Globe and Mail I came across an interesting case in which a man, Mark McIntyre, will be hanging out on Guyathome.com, all day, in his underpants for a 25-day period, with a goal to reach 50,000 fans on Facebook. Subsequently, boxer and brief makers Stanfields will donate 50,000 (1$ per fan) to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Mark, being a testicular cancer survivor himself, spends his days playing video games, cleaning his house, inviting random people over to hang out, and doing a number of TV interviews. After reading this article and having my grandmother be a cancer survivor herself, I became extremely inspired by the company Stanfield’s innovated way of showing their support through social media, using a Comcast to promote awareness of this deathly illness.

In addition to showing their support by helping fundraising, they were able to strategically include advertisement for their company by having Mark wear their brand of boxers while being recorded. I truly think everyone should read this article as it presents the benefits that can occur with the use of social media.

Check out this fantastic article!

Blackberry vs. Iphone

How many times have you logged onto facebook, stumbling upon an updated list of status’s dictating you to “ADD MY PIN!” I sure know I have… This trend towards new blackberry owners continues to grow due to the successful launch of Blackberry Messenger (BBM). This addition to Blackberry phones has immediately caught the eyes of many consumers and is proceeding to take on more and more targets, some even consisting of previous Iphone users. The immediate read and respond function of Blackberry messenger has attracted many buyers of the business industries as they can instantly communicate globally with employees, creating more effective and effective productivity.

The company has developed a strong strategy in the markets for the Blackberry as many prior Iphone users are converting to the Blackberry due to its rapid capability in communication.The strategic positioning allows Blackberry to dominant in this category, being the first phone with the function of instant messaging. Furthermore, the creators of Blackberry, Research in Motion (RIM), offers extreme security features that prevent “cracking” it to be nearly impossible, appealing to many business men. I can say that I am a proud owner of the “crackberry,” and when contemplating between its various functions or the Iphones, immediately made a choice due to Blackberry Messenger.

Link to Article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/globe-on-technology/blackberry-vs-iphone-the-ultimate-showdown/article1656305/