Positive outcomes of SOCIAL MEDIA; man spends his days live on the internet in his underwear!

During Class 8 of COMM 101, I was really amazed to discover the amount of social media that is being used in today’s society and the immense impact it can have on the reputation or promotion of a company. Following the class, I became highly interested in knowing the amount of organisations who depend on social media to either advertise their product/service or monitor the destructive PR which some critiques may cast. However, as I was searching the Globe and Mail I came across an interesting case in which a man, Mark McIntyre, will be hanging out on Guyathome.com, all day, in his underpants for a 25-day period, with a goal to reach 50,000 fans on Facebook. Subsequently, boxer and brief makers Stanfields will donate 50,000 (1$ per fan) to the Canadian Cancer Society.

Mark, being a testicular cancer survivor himself, spends his days playing video games, cleaning his house, inviting random people over to hang out, and doing a number of TV interviews. After reading this article and having my grandmother be a cancer survivor herself, I became extremely inspired by the company Stanfield’s innovated way of showing their support through social media, using a Comcast to promote awareness of this deathly illness.

In addition to showing their support by helping fundraising, they were able to strategically include advertisement for their company by having Mark wear their brand of boxers while being recorded. I truly think everyone should read this article as it presents the benefits that can occur with the use of social media.

Check out this fantastic article!