Week7: What I did Right

Date   In Date Out Initial   Position Offset   Position Price   In Price   Out Gain
Oct.29 Nov.02 Long(C2Z) Short $737.50 $744.50 $349
Oct.29 Nov.02 Long(C3H) Short $740 $742.50 $124
*Oct.23 Short(W2Z) Hold $865
*Oct.23 Short(W3H) Hold $874.5

I took two long corn positions and gained some money this week. I predicted that both corn and wheat future prices would go up this week, especially in wheat futures due to a higher demand.  Weak global wheat supplies from other countries were foreseen.  Drought conditions in Russia lowered the estimation of this year’s harvest to 80-85 million tons of wheat which is relevantly small to 94 million taken in last year. Argentine’s wheat production would also fall sharply by 28 percent this season due to export quota. Furthermore, Ukraine’s export ban on wheat was announced that it will come into effects from November 15.  Ukraine cut exports to protect domestic market which has been suffering from poor harvest.  I expected that these weak export supplies would shift export demand of wheat to US market. I planned to take long positions of corn as well because an increase in wheat futures would pull corn futures high. However, wheat orders weren’t available on Tradesims for first two days. And it was not good timing to enter wheat market because wheat futures already increased significantly. That’s why I had only corn positions this week. Two wheat short positions had been still in the market from last week to wait for price declining.

2 thoughts on “Week7: What I did Right

1. Hey Cindy, I like your table at the beginning summing up your trades this week, simple and clear. It reminded me also we are into November already. The US election is in 2 days! I am not sure how big of an impact will the result have on the futures market. Not sure if you have been able to pay some attention to that?..

Indeed, there have been quite a few news suggesting a bullish wheat market in the recent while. I agree with you and I also anticipate that the wheat prices will go up overall in the coming week. I am a bit uncertain how the USDA report will turn out though as I have read some news article saying that the harvests of corn and soybean are larger than projected in October’s USDA report.

Thanks for your cool source of cattlenetwork.com. I am adding it to my own collection too. =]

Have fun trading!