Week9: What went wrong

Date In Date Out Initial Position Offset Position Price In Price Out Gain
*Nov 06 Long (S2X) Liquidated $1519 Liquidated Liquidated
*Nov 06   Long   (S3F)   $1514    
Nov 14   Long

(C2Z)

$731    
Nov 14   Long

(C2H)

$731    
Nov 14   Long

(S3F)

$1423    
Nov 14   Long

(S3F)

$1423    

Another big disappointment came up this week. Soybean futures dropped sharply again. I expected some bound effects of huge decline in soybean future prices due to USDA crop report. Strong global import demand was also predicted to raise soybeans. Soybean consumption of China, which is a big importer, has been increasing as urban population and pork consumption are getting higher. US is the only one large global exporter of soybean until South America will harvest it early next year. That is why I had no doubt at all that soybean future would jump. With 2 long positions of soybean from the last week, I took two more. I planned to buy at low price and sell at high price. I also bought two corn long contracts. Little bullish sign was shown on soybean, but it was not enough to recover huge decline from the last week and it has tumbled again this week. When I went market in, soybean future was $1514, but now it is $1383.25; $6537.50 has been lost for one contract. One of them was liquidated and I also got losses from new contracts. Corn futures didn’t change much, but declined. I could not offset any positions this week due to significant losses.

4 thoughts on “Week9: What went wrong

1. There’s news last week about China cancelling an order of soybeans import… that’s one of the factors causing the crumbling of the soybeans price I think. I am having 2 longs on soybeans (S3F) too with price-in at 1514 as well. Hopefully, there’s chance to offset them gracefully this week or next? haha.. (although we can end our trading game now.. )

2. Nice! I am always searching for quality content to read and I am getting this in your post I am really really happy and also thankful to you for this post. Keep sharing it in future.