Nike Kids?

Article One: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/nike-admits-to-mistakes-over-child-labour-631975.html#tertiaryColumn

Look in your closet. Do you own anything by Nike? Does the clothing make you feel trendy and comfortable? What if I told you that a suffering 10-year-old Pakistan boy assembled it in a sweatshop? That track suit doesn’t feel so snug now, does it?

In Article 1, Nike finally admits to employing child labour in Third World countries such as Pakistan and Cambodia. Despite the announcement, they remain uncertain of how the company will stop this practice. Some would despise Nike for violating human rights and presenting “bad” business ethics. I understand this perspective, however to a certain extent I agreed with Nike. A business’s ultimate goal is to generate profit, and how they achieve this goal is their decision. It is “ethical” so long as they obey the law. If a firm chooses to employ risky practices that have bad morality, in which could potentially lose customers, then it is the company’s decision to make.

This entry was posted in Business Blog. Bookmark the permalink.