Final Synthesis

Precis of Flight Path

As an instructional designer in the corporate sector, I have designed training courses mostly with predefined customer requirements. My main goals for this course were to:

1. Play with tools and technologies that I had not explored yet.
  2. Apply frameworks as a reference to purposefully select learning technologies.
  3. Create pedagogically aligned courses that are designed to support learners in their learning.
  4. Investigate the possibility/ viability/ limitation of using external software/ social media.
  5. Design formative and summative assessment best suited to the course objectives and pedagogical design.
  6. Explore how to set up student and instructor dashboards with learning analytics.

Goal Reflection

1. Tools and Technologies

During this course, I was able to try a few new tools for media production. These include iMovie, Quizlet, Google slides, Canva, Kaltura, and WeVideo. Additionally, I got more proficient with Thinglink and Camtasia. I learned how to setup and create videos with PowerPoint. Last but not the least, I was able to see the much-praised Canvas LMS in action. I spent considerable time exploring all the features, configuring the navigation options and setting up HTML pages, quizzes, and assignments in the LMS.

Along with consciously choosing and playing with tools, I learned about the open book format when I was reading Tony Bates’ online book Teaching in the digital age. I really liked the layout, its ease of use, and the structure of the book including the thought-provoking questions/activities for each topic. I think this is a very useful format for teaching and learning. Paige and I also incorporated an eBook reading activity into our course on Academic Writing and New Media.

1. Tool Selection Frameworks

I found the SECTIONS model (Bates, 2014) a valuable framework for tool selection. Using it for the LMS rubric assignment and digital story allowed me to apply the framework and think through each listed criteria. As Boyes, Dowie and Ruzman (2005) note this framework provides a “unified approach” that is “flexible and comprehensive” and can be “used to guide decision-making in a variety of educational contexts” (p. 1). While I was already familiar with TPACK (Koehler, 2012), which had established the importance of thinking about pedagogy and content when selecting technology for learning, what I found different about SECTIONS model was its emphasis on issues such as ease of use, interaction, networking, and security and privacy. These, I think are important factors that should be considered for media and technology selection. This framework also helped me decide between the Canvas and EdX LMS. Since we were creating a course for post-secondary level, the assessment design we had in mind required timely instructor review and feedback. These assignments could not have worked with a large number of students. Additionally, we had limited time to create video content for a MOOC style course hence we selected Canvas. That said, working with Canvas and using different tools for video production and media development reiterated the fact that “[a] single environment that responds to all student needs does NOT exist” (Anderson, 2008, p.52). There are choices, tools and learning curve. With every tool, there were some features that we found missing. In Canvas, individual questions within a quiz cannot be timed. Its rich content editor is not rich enough and provided limited ability to work with the HTML design elements directly. Camtasia has only a few types of transitions that can be applied in-between images and videos. Google slides do not allow pre-recorded audio that can extend across multiple slides.

Using the Canvas LMS, I was also able to compare it with Moodle, an LMS I had used in ETEC 510. Just as Coates, James, and Baldwin (2005) had claimed “LMSs are not pedagogically neutral technologies, but rather, through their very design, they influence and guide teaching” (p. 27), I saw how different the two LMSs were. Moodle is clearly geared towards K-12 and Canvas is more designed for the higher education sector.

1. Pedagogically aligned courses

Prior to this course, my understanding of pedagogy was limited to course, activity and assessment design. I had not considered TPACK, for example, to be applicable at a granular level, for media selection within a course for individual activities. The digital story assignment showed me the purpose and importance of aligning activities, media, and tools with pedagogy and learning goals.

During this course, I revisited Knowles’ adult learning theory for assignment 2, and social constructivist approaches for assignment 3 & 4. For the latter two assignments, I gave due consideration to the three attributes of online learning to create a knowledge-centered, assessment-centered and community-centered learning environment as well as the affordance of the internet to support different types of interaction among students, teachers, and content (Anderson, 2008). The backward design helped me see the value in thinking about the learning goals in connection to how they will be measured. I also learned that the course content is also influenced not by the pedagogy and learning goals alone but also by the assessment design. In designing assessments for the course on academic writing, we thought about the hidden curriculum, provided multiple practice activities and incorporated self and peer assessment (Gibbs & Simpson, 2005). Throughout the course design and development process, active learning, feedback, opportunities for student collaboration, teacher-student communication, and self-regulation (Chickering & Ehrmann, 1996) remained in our purview. We considered different learning styles and how to accommodate them. One of the simpler activity of writing course introduction proved to be quite challenging as it required thinking about schedule and workload. It really established the importance of planning and pacing the course for effective learning as well as making it possible for the instructors to manage their workload and time (Anderson, 2008).

The contents along with the design of the ETEC565A course itself served as a guide for designing our course for post-secondary learners. It allowed me to see how theory is applied in actual course design. The experience from this course and the other MET course environments helped me understand the need for cognitive, teacher and social presence when designing online communities (Garrison, Anderson & Archer, 2000). These principles led us to incorporate course announcements, instructor introductory videos and conversational style of writing to engage students and create a safe and welcoming learning environment.

The best part of learning was having the feeling of actually being a teacher, designing and creating a real course. The more I got involved in the readings, understood the assignment requirements and implemented the suggested theory and practice into the course design, the more I felt that this was an authentic real activity.

1. Social Media

I am not a fan of social media because I think storing learner data and knowledge exchanges on external sites have huge privacy and data security risks. That said these are sites for communication. The possibility of integrating them for learning needs to be understood and evaluated irrespective of personal likeness. One benefit that Bates (2014) sees is that the communities formed using these tools can continue to flourish beyond the duration of a course.

It is, therefore, important for eLearning designers to be aware of the difference between communication and collaboration. The two terms are often used interchangeably. Collaboration needs to be two way, even persistent. With clear goals defined upfront, students can use tools such as GoogleDocs, OneNote, Skype to work together on assignments (Thomson, 2014). Communication can be more of a broadcast or one way. Twitter is an example of a one communication tool, best suited for announcements and sending out a message. However, when thoughtful discussions are the purpose, tools like Slack and Mattermost are more suitable options. These platform and tool choices must also be reviewed from the mobile technology perspective. As I was reflecting on the formats, I found Kelly’s (2014) explanation of one-one journals; one-to-many blogs; many-many wikis and discussions quite useful.

1. Assessment

With a deeper understanding of different types of assessments and using them to good effect, I understood the value of timely feedback, peer-reviews and reflection writing among other things (Gibbs and Simpson, 2005). In this course, I did a lot of reflective writing and was able to see the value it adds to the overall learning. In the student discussion forums, Sally shared Australian universities project website “Feedback for learning”. I found that a valuable resource. It explains some new strategies such as involving students in deciding on the rubric for their assessments and cutting down course content to incorporate the feedback process (“NewMediaResearch”, n.d.). I plan to review this resource in the coming days as well as read Boud and Molloy’s book Feedback in higher and professional education: understanding it and doing it well, also suggested by Sally.

1. Analytics

We had limited access to Canvas. I was not able to see what types of analytics are supported by this LMS. I was also interested in exploring the bookmarking feature and how it works. These are the goals I look forward to pursuing on my own.

Experience Reflection

In addition to the goals outlined in the flight path, there are quite a few other things that I learned. Significant among them were:

Video production

I got proficient in creating videos. I was nudged out of my comfort zone to do voice-over which I usually avoid. I realized that creating a video is neither hard nor too time consuming, especially once you familiarize yourself with a few good tools. Also, we do not need to create perfect videos every time. For example, in the last video I created on my course reflection, I wanted to use cursors to highlight sections of the mind map to go with the narration, but given the time limitation, I thought it is not that important and such comprises are allowed and have to be made.

ePortfolio

In this course, we used WordPress for creating our portfolio. Guided through a pre-defined structure which is recommended for first-time users like me (Gordon, 2017), I really understood how online portfolios are used for learning. I did some additional research on my own and learned that a portfolio can help “students to connect prior knowledge to their classroom learning; set program and career goals; showcase their academic work within and outside the classroom; and practice the reflection skills necessary to be proficient lifelong learners” (Bryant, Rust, Fox-Horton, & Johnson, 2017).

Discussion with peers

The thought-provoking discussion with peers helped with the learning. The scenarios for the activities provided good context, especially the discussion on social media was illuminating. I actively participated in the weekly discussions, posted early to be able to follow up on peer posts to evaluate and reflect on my own post alongside.

Feedback on assignments

Feedback on assignments was not only timely but valuable. We received feedback related to accessibility, screen readers, and course structure for assignment 3, which we incorporated into our course as well.

Next Steps

Much is changing in the online learning landscape. While the good old principles of teaching and instruction are still valid, essential instructional design skills and competencies are expanding and evolving and so are the tools and technologies for learning. The path to learning is having the knowledge of what’s there more to learn. Towards the end of this course, I am more aware of what’s on the horizon. I came to the course with limited knowledge of learning design methodology, tools, and practices. This course expanded my thinking and approach to course creation and design. Most importantly, I applied my knowledge to create a post-secondary level course, which I also set up in, a new for me, Canvas LMS.

I plan to apply the new knowledge I have gained to my own practice. Backed by theoretical frameworks, I can make better tool choices and suggest more optimal solutions. I can rationally propose and explain design decisions. I may not be able to make revolutionary changes as there are usually many corporate bindings but often times even small changes can make big differences.

I have also registered for the ETEC530 course on constructivist strategies for e-Learning. With this course, I hope to further expand my pedagogical knowledge and skills of constructivist approaches for learning.

I plan to explore Edx, Edmodo and Schoology LMS. I have already found a tutorial on the OpenEdx website that explains the process of creating a course for this LMS. I will keep an eye open for the possibility of exploring learning analytics on these LMSs.

The key takeaway from this course and a way forward for me is to continue to explore new tools and remain mindful of the dangers and potential harms of new technologies. Keeping pedagogy first, I would select technology purposefully to create learning experiences that are effective, engaging and somewhat fun too.

Empowered with a new vision and skills for designing pedagogically sound learning spaces, I am ready for my next flight. With a better understanding of the aircraft navigation system, I can now fly to higher altitudes.

Anderson, T. (2008). Towards a theory of online learning. In T. Anderson & F. Elloumi (Eds.), Theory and practice of online learning. Edmonton AB: Athabasca University. Retrieved from http://www.aupress.ca/books/120146/ebook/02_Anderson_2008Theory_and_Practice_of_Online_Learning.pdf

Bates, T. (2014). Choosing and using media in education: The SECTIONS model. In Teaching in a digital age. Retrieved from https://opentextbc.ca/teachinginadigitalage/part/9-pedagogical-differencesbetween-media/

Boyes, J., Dowie, S., & Rumzan, I. (2005). Using the SECTIONS framework to evaluate flash media. Using the SECTIONS framework to evaluate flash media, 2(1). Retrieved from http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.186.6505&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Bryant, L. R., Rust, D. Z., Fox-Horton, J., & Johnson, A. D. (2017). ePortfolios and Interdisciplinary Adult Degree Programs. International Journal of ePortfolio, 7(2).

Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S. C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles: Technology as lever. AAHE Bulletin, 49, 3-6.

Coates, H., James, R., & Baldwin, G. (2005). A critical examination of the effects of learning management systems on university teaching and learning. Tertiary Education & Management, 11(1), 19-36.Chicago

Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T. & Archer, W. (2000). Critical thinking in text-based environment: Computer conferencing in higher education. The Internet and Higher Education, 2(2), 87-105.

Gibbs, G., & Simpson, C. (2005). Conditions under which assessment supports students’ learning. Learning and Teaching in Higher Education, 1(1), 3-31. Retrieved from http://www.open.ac.uk/fast/pdfs/Gibbs%20and%20Simpson%202004-05.pdf

Gordon, L. (2017). Students as Co-Designers: Peer and Instructional Resources for Novice Users of ePortfolio. International Journal of ePortfolio, 7(2).

ISTE. (n.d.). ISTE standards for educators [Web page]. Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/standards/for-educators

Kelly, R. (2014). Selecting the Appropriate Communication Tools for Your Online Course [Web page]. Retrieved from https://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/online-education/selecting-appropriate-communication-tools-online-course/

Koehler, M. (2012). TPACK explained [Blog post]. Retrieved from http://mattkoehler.com/tpack2/tpack-explained/

Munzenmaier, C. (2014). TODAY’S INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGNER:COMPETENCIES AND CAREERS. The eLearning Guild Research. Retrieved from https://momentum.gevc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Todays-Instructional-Designer-2014.pdf

NewMediaResearch (n.d.). Feedback for Learning. Closing the assessment loop [Web page]. Retrieved from http://newmediaresearch.educ.monash.edu.au/feedback/updates/

Park, J. Y., & Luo, H. (2017). Refining a Competency Model for Instructional Designers in the Context of Online Higher Education. International Education Studies, 10(9), 87. Retrieved from  https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1153592.pdf

Ritzhaupt, A., Martin, F., & Daniels, K. (2010). Multimedia competencies for an educational technologist: A survey of professionals and job announcement analysis. Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia19(4), 421-449.

Thomson, S. (2014). 6 Online Collaboration Tools and Strategies For Boosting Learning. Retrieved from https://elearningindustry.com/6-online-collaboration-tools-and-strategies-boosting-learning

Image Reference:

Pexels. (n.d.). [Image of aircraft navigation system]. Retrieved from https://www.pexels.com/photo/black-multicolored-control-panel-lot-726233/

One comment

1. Hi Faeyza

I just want to thank you for such an insightful reflection – it was very clear and I myself learned a lot from your experience!

Thanks,
    Charisse