New User

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.

Recent Posts

Authors

I’m lefty and I’m proud

No-one has come up with an explanation of why exactly some people are more comfortable using their left hand rather than right hand, but about 13% of the human population are.

Left-handedness is defined as the preference of left hand over the right hand in everyday activities such as writing. In ancient times, left-handedness was seen as a sign of the devil; everything “right” was good, everything “left” was bad. Such attitude towards left-handers is thought to have begun with the sun worshipers who lived in the far north. As they stood facing the sun, it appeared moving from left to right to them. Because the sun was moving towards the right, it was believed that right is always good, correct, or “right”. The Bible also contains references about left-handedness. In one of the Gospels, Jesus says that one day a man will sit on a throne and separate all nations, like sheep and goats are separates, and he will place “the sheep on this right hand, but goats on his left.” (Matthew 25:31-34, 41).

These beliefs were passed along to medieval times. Lefties were not trusted because they could shake other person’s hand with their left hand and they could carry a sword behind their back with their left hand. The word “left” came from Latin word sinister which means evil. The French word “gauche” means awkward or tactless.
Since we are science students, it’s time to look at this issue from scientific and, more interestingly, genetic point of view.

Left-handedness is a genetic trait widely investigated. In 2007, it was announced that alleles for this phenotype were found upstream of LRRTM1 gene. Twin theory suggests that left-handed people had a right-handed twin at the stage of pre-fetus development. This right-handed fetus failed to develop. Even though Australian researchers rejected this theory, it remains unknown why there is a high frequency of left-handedness/right-handedness in pair. A study by the Centers for Disease Control(CDC) suggest that pre-mature exposure to estrogen is likely to cause left-handedness.
Left-handed people also tend to be more creative and good at arts. Their right part of the brain, that is responsible for emotions, artistic vision and 3D thinking, is more active.

For now left-handed people are still a minority in this “right-minded” world and they often get discriminated against, especially in schools. However, genetic single-nucleotide polymorphism that causes left-handedness means that it is a common case and people with both phenotypes should co-exist in harmony.

So be proud to be different and remember:
– August 13th is the left-hander’s day!
– A number of famous people were/are left-handed, among them are Alexander the Great, Leonardo Da Vinci, Oscar De La Hoya, Albert Einstein and many others

For more information visit:
http://handedness.org/
http://www.theworldofstuff.com/lefty/

– Kilshaw, D. and Annett, M. (1983), Right- and left-hand skill I: Effects of age, sex and hand preference showing superior skill in left-handers. British Journal of Psychology, 74: 253–268. doi: 10.1111/j.2044-8295.1983.tb01861.x
– Corballis, Michael C., Laterality and myth, American Psychologist, Vol 35(3), Mar 1980, 284-295. doi: 10.1037/0003-066X.35.3.284

4 Responses to I’m lefty and I’m proud

1. cassiet

I’ve never heard of “handedness” being genetic before, that’s interesting. But I suppose it could make sense for someone who is genetically more “artistic” and uses the right side of their brain more to use the left hand to create what their brain is seeing.

2. hannaoh

I remember growing up, I would see kids who are left handed being scrutinized by the teacher and peers because they were left handed. I had no idea why being left handed was bad nor did I know why being right handed is better. Now that we know more with scientific background, I hope the discrimination against the “lefties” will end.

3. hannaoh

I remember growing up, I would see kids who are left handed being criticized by the teacher and peers because they were left handed. I had no idea why being left handed was bad nor did I know why being right handed is better. Now that we know more with scientific background, I hope the discrimination against the “lefties” will end.

4. deanthestudent

Even though I myself am right-handed in most of the things I do, I find myself so much more comfortable using my left hands for things that I see other people normally using their right hand (dominant hand) for. I wonder why. I even found out that I can write somewhat decently, albeit slowly, with my left hand. I wish I was ambidextrous. This would be extremely useful.