New User

If you want to add yourself to this blog, please log in.

Recent Posts

Authors

After the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster- The Effect of Radiation on Human Health

There was Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster on March 15th 2011 which released radioactive materials due to equipment failures and nuclear meltdown. Concern remains over the potential effect on human health from radiation leaks at the stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.

What is radiation? 

Thinkstock: radiation sign

Radiation is a process in which energetic particles or waves travel through a medium or space. The energy comes from a source and travels through space and may penetrate various materials. Iodine and cesium are examples of radioactive elements. There are two types: ionizing, and non-ionizing. Both types can be harmful to organisms while ionizing radiation is more harmful as it can cause DNA damage.

We are all naturally exposed to background radiation from radon (Rn), colourless, odorless chemical gas found in soil, water and air.  We are also exposed to unnatural sources such as X-rays which deliver about 10days’ worth of naturally occurring radiation.

Symptoms

Symptoms of radiation sickness occur when the body is damaged by a very large dose of radiation over a short period of time. The more radiation a person absorbs, the sicker one will get. The best way to prevent harm is to prevent exposure. The strength of the radiation itself and distance from it are key factors in the severity of radiation sickness. 

Nausea and vomiting often begin within hours of exposure, followed by diarrhea, headaches and fever. Since radiation destroys infection-fighting white blood cells, the greatest short-term risk after exposure is infection and the spread of infectious diseases.

Human impacts 

abcnews: radiation and the body

Ionizing radiation damages the body’s internal chemistry. Our bodies are able to repair effects of radiation on tissues, but too much radiation can cause DNA damage that the body can’t repair, leading to cancer. 

Vulnerable areas include:

• -Thyroid gland
  • -Bone marrow
  • -Cells lining the intestine and stomach

Babies and young children are more sensitive to radiation exposure because their cells typically divide faster than adults; increasing their risk of developing a radiation-related cancer later in life.

Treatment

Drugs can stimulate the growth of white blood cells and help people fight off infections. Exposed individuals can also be given capsules containing a dye that binds to thallium and cesium and helps the body get rid of these radioactive elements.

Potassium iodide tablets are often given out to people at risk of contamination. The compound prevents or reduces absorption of radioactive iodine, through the thyroid gland, which uses iodine to produce thyroid hormones. But potassium iodide cannot prevent radioactive iodine from entering elsewhere in the body and does not affect the absorption of other radioactive elements, such as cesium, which stays in organs, tissue and the environment much longer than iodine.

We must watch out our nuclear plant cells since one disaster may cause series of problems. There are many nuclear plants that can potentially become  problems and we should find ways to minimize or avoid further disasters.

3 Responses to After the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster- The Effect of Radiation on Human Health

1. Christina Thompson

I am interested to see what long-term effect might arise from the Fukushima Daiichi disaster. I often feel like the media blows things out of proportion but in this case, I feel as if there is a lot to be worried about.
    Are they already treating people with the methods you described or are they going to wait until people start showing symptoms?

2. mins

Christina
    I believe that the long term effects are cancers as the biggest concern is the damage in DNA. I read one article reporting about 10 years after the chernobyl disaster, and the most concerned was the mutation. Such disaster not only affects people but also environment, so the long term effect will be more ‘broad’ and takes long time to show up. According to Chernobyl’s case, they showed concerns like pregnancy and birth of children. I know that the news don’t report about Fukushima anymore, but the drug was used to give for shorterm use (to people who were exposed to the radiation at the time). I think people probably wouldn’t expect if one should take the drugs, or treatment until they show the symptoms. I am not sure if they use other specific equipment or technique to figure the amount people absorbed.

3. monicagrundmann

Very interesting post. I wasn’t aware of how much damage can be caused by consuming food that came from the area that was exposed to radiation. I feel like we are very capable of handling these sorts of disaster as it has happened before so I would think the long term effect on our society would be minimized by action taken by governments.