Caudillos Versus the Nation State: Week 5

Before this week’s assignment, I didn’t know about the Caudillos, or the Nation State, I wasn’t fully informed on what it was… however, as the week was over there was one thing I was noticing over the past couple of weeks.

A reoccurring theme that keeps coming up within these weeks is how there are two sides to a story. In this case its the portrayal of Antonio Lopez. Over the weeks we have exercised our minds in reading through different types of texts and analyzing beyond the one perspective the text provides. As we discuss further into the class, we realize that although we hear one side of the story, the glory, the “heroic like” story that inspired many, we don’t hear the other significant perspectives of the story that took place within that time.

Going beyond the reading, you will read and learn about different people who have made an impact in history, and each of those people are marked in history as either a hero, or a villain. You never will get the full true story of what happened in that moment in the past since it was a different story to all those who were present.

Although this post doesn’t focus very much on the content of the Caudillos vs. the Nation State, it made me question a lot of aspects marked down in history, focusing towards Latin America in how there isn’t much knowledge on for example the perspective of the Spanish vs. the perspective of the indigenous people within Latin America.