What about school environment and participation?

Way back in the fall, when I decided to base my inquiry around participation, I was inspired by the quiet students in classrooms. Kate Torgovinick May asks the same question I did when I first chose this topic: “What should we do with the quiet kids?” Torgovinick May interviews Susan Cain, who advocates for introverts of all ages. Their discussion focuses on the school and classroom environment, which for the introverted child, can be a “very over-stimulating experience”. One strategy Cain suggests for helping introverted students feel more comfortable is to “build quiet time into the school day”.

Caine also discusses what she envisions schools in the future could look like, and how rethinking school structure could help introverted students. Cain “imagin[es] spaces that are more flexible so at any given moment, you can choose: Do I want to be in a solo space? Do I want to be in a small group space? Do I want to be in a more crowded, lively space?”. In my observations, I have been able to view spaces like the one Cain describes. These less traditional spaces help promote community among grade groups and create open and flexible learning spaces, as opposed to typical classrooms. In these types of environments students exercise the exact type of choice that Cain mentions. As a Teacher Candidate, I have found these environments quite intimidating. It is the polar opposite of my own schooling. I do appreciate however, that these types of environments can allow for more seamless technology integration in schools. IPads and computers are easily integrated across all grades in an efficient and educational way. Technology is used to promote student participation and engagement with learning; it is a normalized tool for learning.

Cain also discusses using technology – more specifically, apps that promote discussion – for promoting class wide participation. Plickers, which I have mentioned in previous postings, accomplish Cain’s ideas regarding participation and technology.

Over the last few steps of my research into participation, I have been realizing that I am going in somewhat the opposite direction that I was expecting to. Initially, I came into this looking for strategies to promote active participation from the quieter students in a classroom. I am now starting to see how as long as student learning can be shown, how the learning is presented is not as important as I previously thought. Cain’s belief in student choice creates opportunities. Offering different platforms, whether it is through a class blog or working in small groups, creates opportunities for students who are more introverted to find their own right way for them to participate with their learning.