Support, don’t force, participation

My inquiry into participation was inspired from my observations of “the quiet kids” – the capable, bright, but shy and introverted students in a class. My initial approach was to explore research to explain why these students do not choose to participate and also to find strategies to promote more active participation in the classroom. I was expecting to become a stronger advocate for pushing students to participate. I am surprised to say that where I am at now is somewhat the opposite. My last few posts exploring participation and assessment referenced two of a three story feature regarding participation. By chance I happened to read John Spencer’s article last, and I am extremely glad I did. Spencer eloquently summarizes my round-about feelings regarding participation, while offering excellent strategies and classroom practices that can benefit all learners – the introverts and the extroverts.

Through my inquiry exploration, I have come to the conclusion that it is entirely, 100%, okay to be one of the “quiet kids” in class. The teacher’s job is not to change the personality and demeanour of his or her students, but to help them explore their environment and find challenges within it. The teacher’s job is to give students the proper tools and guidance to help them accomplish goals and challenge themselves.

Throughout my time in the BEd program so far, the concept of equity versus equality has become a theme of our study. Spencer acknowledges that this applies to participation as well. He “requires all students to participate at some point, [but he] give[s] students the permission to decide the frequency and timing of participation”. He then also provides his more introverted students with necessary strategies and assistance to minimize their anxiety caused by participation. The most important classroom practice that he suggests is to make sure to “allow students time to prepare, and even rehearse, what they want to say”.

I am really inspired by Spencer’s suggestions and participation philosophy. Ultimately, learning is the most important goal for students and while we want students to break out of their shells, it cannot be forced or demanded of them. Teachers have to offer the same support and assistance for participation as they do for other subject areas.