Re: USDA Approves Sexier Names for Beef, Pork Cuts

http://www.brandchannel.com/home/post/2013/04/05/USDA-Names-Beef-Pork-040513.aspx#continue

This post is in response to the post above.

USDA recently approved the pork and beef industries to rename more than 350 different cuts of meats to make them more accessible for customers.

I think the idea is good as I do find myself in a lot of time could not figure the differences between different kinds of pork sold in the supermarket until I asked. The idea of renaming these meats to “porterhouse pork”, “ribeye chops” is to familiarize customers with the similar names they see on restaurants’ menus. Since a new packing will also come with the new naming to show which part of an animal’s body the meat comes from, it will also be more educational for customers when they are shopping for their meat. The decision is supported by a two-year study in which customers respond the confusion on meats when they are shopping.

I believe this event is a great example of showing how marketing can improve a society. By doing the marketing study/research and coming up with this conclusion/decision, meat-shopping would be more educational than ever before. Less customers are confused when buying meats, more are getting what they really want. Although “Bloomberg notes that other food industries have tried to rebrand their products before, but haven’t made it through successfully.”, I believe this time it will be different. I look forward when Canada follows this change then I can get the pork that I had last night at the restaurant.