Assignment 1.1: Welcome!

Posted by in Assignments, Unit 1

Hello everyone, my name is Danica Ferguson and I am a 4th year student majoring in French, hoping to continue on after my undergrad to get my Bachelor of Education. I was born and raised in the small, rainy, northern coastal town of Prince Rupert, British Columbia and currently reside in Prince George, B.C. when I’m not in Vancouver. I grew up in one of the rainiest cities in Canada (Yes, it has even more rain than Vancouver), which has given me a tremendous appreciation for the sun and a water resistant attitude when it comes to rain. In my free time, I enjoy hiking, baking, and reading.

FullSizeRender  The view from the top of Mt. Hays in my hometown.

English 470: Canadian Studies is a literature course that will look at “Canadian literature in a historical context with a focus on the intersections and departures between European and Indigenous traditions of literature and orature.” (Paterson) This course also includes interactive, online components that opens up the discussion beyond the classroom. The reason I am interested in this course is because of the focus on the power of story telling and looking at Canada’s history from an Indigenous perspective. Growing up in Northern B.C., I have been exposed to First Nations culture and history, as well as the racism directed towards Indigenous peoples. In this course, I am excited to delve further into the complete history of Canada through literature, looking at it from a lesser known perspective. I am looking forward to analyzing the connections held between nation building and literature, and excited to see what my fellow classmates have to say about the topics. The online component of this course is something completely new to me, but I am excited to try it out and looking forward to seeing the dialogues created as a result of it. I am always intrigued to see what perspectives and frameworks are brought into these types of courses, and I am looking forward to learning from and with you all.

“Mount Hays (Prince Rupert, British Columbia): Address, Mountain Reviews – TripAdvisor.” Mount Hays (Prince Rupert, British Columbia): Address, Mountain Reviews – TripAdvisor. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2016.

Paterson, Erika. “Course Syllabus.” ENGL 470A Canadian Studies: Canadian Literary Genres May 2016. University of British Columbia, 2016. Web. 11 May 2016.

“Top Five Rainiest Cities in Canada.” The Weather Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 May 2016.