Assignment 1:3 – Question 6

Posted by in Assignments, Unit 1

I really enjoyed Chamberlain’s If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. I really appreciated the metaphors he used and the language he used to discuss his stance on the topic of oral cultures vs. literate cultures. In the last chapter specifically, there were many points and analogies made by Chamberlain that really resonated with me and got me thinking.

The first thing that I really enjoyed was when he was talking about the Gitksan story about the Grizzly Bear and the Scientific tests that both served as evidence or proof of the same story. With the story of the Grizzly Bear, it was the story itself that the people believed in. For others who were sceptical of the story, science added another layer, showing geological and scientific indicators that an event similar to that described by the story had indeed happened. For me, perspective is everything. This example reminds me of an analogy a previous professor of mine used throughout his course of his course being like a journey on a train; although we are all going to the same place and seeing the same things, everyone is looking out a different window and therefore see’s different parts of the same picture. He also stressed the importance of sharing what we see out of our imaginary windows so the group can see the picture more fully than if they only focused on what they themselves had seen. I see great value in looking at anything with more than one perspective and I really enjoyed seeing this practice used in reality with this story.

The second thing I liked about the last chapter is the quote (among others): “Instead of two truths we might say two stories, which together help us chart the convergence of imagination and reality.” (Chamberlain, 222) I thought this was a beautiful way to get people to understand how to look at perspectives. The word truth for me implies a singularity, whereas stories may be told and retold, shaped and reshaped. When we think of perspectives as stories rather than truths, it opens up the door to looking at things from multiple angles and accepting that there is no one true story, but an infinite library of perspectives. I thought Chamberlain worded it so beautifully and so accurately, making it stand out in my mind as I was reading and making me think about stories and perspectives on a deeper level than just “he said-she said”.

The third thing I found interesting in the final chapter was yet another quote. Chamberlain says “We may not agree to eat together at the end of the day, but at least we can show some respect for each others table manners, and perhaps even understand that they were not specifically designed to exclude us.” (Chamberlain, 227) This passage made me think of two things. The first is the two row wampum belt, which signifies two vessels going parallel along a path with a mutually respecting relationship, neither interfering or harming the other. This was meant to symbolize the relationship between Indigenous peoples and Colonial settlers, and Chamberlains words about not agreeing to eat together yet respecting the other reminded me of that idea of parallelism and mutual respect. The second made me think about the disconnect people see between orality and literacy, and how they see them as opposites- barbaric and civilized even. Yet when Chamberlain says “not specifically designed to exclude us”, it speaks to how neither tradition is more advanced than the other, they are just different yet very much the same.

Chamberlin, Edward. If This is Your Land, Where are Your Stories? Finding Common Ground. AA. Knopf. Toronto. 2004. Print.

Keefer, Tom. “A Short Introduction to the Two Row Wampum.” – Briarpatch Magazine. N.p., 10 Mar. 2014. Web. 19 May 2016.

York, Fiona. “Land Rights Case of the Gitksan-Wet’suwet’en: “A Gross and Arrogant Miscarriage of Justice”” Peace and Environment News, June 1991. Web. 19 May 2016.