RE: McDonald’s gives consumer “upper hand”

by Di (Dina) Lu ~ October 12th, 2012. Filed under: Uncategorized.

After reading Maria’s blog post “McDonald’s gives consumer “upper hand”, I checked out McDonald’s video, which answers the question “why does your food look different in the advertising than what is in the store?” Seeing the final comparison between a burger hot off the the grill and a burger designed delicately for an ad, I immediately pondered to myself why the world’s largest burger restaurant chain would show customers that their fresh burgers are not made up to par with their mouth-watering ads.

Turns out, McDonald’s launched a Our food. Your questions. campaign in June, which seeks to cultivate transparency between the burger chain and consumers, according to the Globe and Mail article “From Twitter to TV, McDonald’s offers answers”.

I agree with Maria’s statement that the campaign is a double edged dagger. On the one hand, consumers receive answers to their questions, which improves consumer-company relations; on the other hand, the answers to questions do not always bring light to McDonald’s, as seen through the use of appetizing burgers in ads which don’t meet the criterion in actual restaurants . Nevertheless, I think that the campaign has brought awareness to McDonald’s desire for a more honest and truthful front.