Paper Bag Academy – Pop-up learning during COVID lockdown

Serving up “tasty” online lessons to local children during the 2020 COVID lockdown.

I designed, developed — and co-taught with my husband, Bill Richardson — this weekly inquiry-based lesson plan to middle school aged children during the Winter/Spring 2020 COVID lockdown. At first I planned to offer this program to any neighbourhood children within driving distance of our house. In the end, we specialized in offering “paper bag lessons” to Unitarian Universalist children in our church community. Arts supplies and a candy treats were delivered to each child’s door in time for the online gathering. Visit the Paper Bag Academy here

About

Dr. Jessica Motherwell McFarlane is a professional education consultant on gender, anti-oppression and social justice issues and a research associate at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. She is also the developer and director of the Life Outside the Box program that uses visual narratives as a way to SEE conflict and injustice from new perspectives. Jessica facilitates groups and schools needing to have complex — and sometimes emotionally painful — conversations. She offers workshops to at-risk children, youth, and adults on: Truth and Reconciliation, transforming bullying situations, and rehearsing best practices for self-care, inclusivity, and kindness.