Wantering: A Testament to Corporate Culture

“Here’s our objective: We want to create more of a family atmosphere.”

Matt Friesen, co-owner and CEO of Wantering, wants to create a strong, cohesive culture across Vancouver, New York, and Los Angeles.  These are the three cities that his company has employees in.  With the recent acquisition of StyleCo, another online fashion website based out of L.A, Frisen wants to merge the two companies and have a uniform culture.

I think that Friesen’s idea to have lunch with the employees everyday is an excellent decision.  Friesen wants to create a family atmosphere, and breaking bread with his employees is a good way to do so.  I agree with Ryan Williams’ analysis, by focusing on similarities other than differences it puts people on the same page and gives them things to relate with each other.  Another suggestion I have to add on to Williams’ comments is to continue to have these workshops.  Having locations spread across the continent is definitely an issue in creating a uniform atmosphere and by continuing to have events like this it can remind employees of the company’s values.  Lastly, I suggest Mr. Frisen prompt his employees to continue inter-communication even after the workshop.  Since he has very few employees, only seven, it will be easy for the employees to keep in touch with each other and further strengthen that familial culture.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-growth/the-challenge/vancouver-fashion-startup-moves-into-the-us-in-a-big-way/article21192886/