Canada and the Carbon Tax

In reply to a blog by Lawson Parker concerning the implementation of a carbon tax in Canada, I believe that there could be both pros and cons from the introduction to an emissions tax.  I agree with his points on creating shared value through improving the state of the environment as well as that of the economy.  I believe that if the government went by the plan proposed (taxing carbon emissions and funneling the funds into the economy) then it would work out great, but I fear that the government wouldn’t follow this plan.  In the article, it states that the Canadian government willingly spends their money from taxation, opposite of Norway’s system of saving for future generations.  The Canadian government also doesn’t tend to invest in education and other more social outlets than Norway does.

Another issue I see is that the economies of Canada and Norway differ greatly.  Norway’s main exports are petroleum and other gas-related products, whereas Canada’s GDP is mainly composed of tech-products and natural resources, oil comprising a small fraction of that.  In order to mimic Norway, Canada would have to put more focus on the tar sands in Alberta, which is contrary to the idea behind a carbon tax.

Sources: https://blogs.ubc.ca/lawsonp/2014/11/09/norways-solution/

www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/european-business/norway-proves-oil-rich-nations-can-be-both-green-and-prosperous/article21514455/