Research Proposal – Karn Sangha

To:         Dr. Erika Paterson
From:     Karndeep Sangha
Date:      Feb 7, 2019
Subject: Proposal for identifying major factors in pedestrian collisions with bicycles on Main Mall at the University of British Columbia Vancouver campus and how pedestrian safety can be improved accordingly.

Audience

The proposal will be prepared for UBC Campus and Community Planning. UBC Campus and Community Planning are responsible for regulating campus development. They advise on land use, development, and the implementation of planning initiatives. They will have the authority to develop, fund, and implement a potential solution on Main Mall.

Introduction

Main Mall has been the primary pedestrian corridor and has become a pedestrian zone only banning any non-emergency vehicles. Although it is a pedestrian zone only, bicycles, skateboards, and other forms of manual transformation are still allowed. This has led to frustrations between cyclists and pedestrians. Pedestrians don’t tend to walk on a set path and can unexpectedly stop or turn. Cyclists and other users of manual transportation also do not stick to a path and also travel at varying speeds. This results in accidents occurring between pedestrians and the users of manual transportation, especially cyclists.

Statement of Problem

The absence of speed limit signs, and general enforcement of rules has led to collisions between pedestrians and cyclists. Some of these collisions are at slow speeds but a few have been at high speeds relative to the pedestrian traffic flow. These high-speed collisions have resulted in injuries to pedestrians involved. Main Mall is mainly a pedestrian used pathway and with the increasing student and staff population at UBC, the pedestrian traffic will rise. The lack in enforcement of speed limits and enforcement of other rules such as helmet laws has also resulted in cyclists being injured seriously. The increase in pedestrian traffic and use of bicycles on campus at UBC can potentially lead to a rise in the number of serious accidents.

Proposed Solution

The proposed solution will first identify what have been the main factors in these accidents such as cyclist speed, or an unexpected pedestrian move. Then a solution can be proposed based on the major contributors such as strict enforcement of speed limits by UBC Campus security, installation of bike paths, or an outright ban of bicycles on Main Mall.

Scope

To figure out the feasibility of addressing pedestrian safety on Main Mall, I plan to pursue these six areas of inquiry:

1. What are the major factors in pedestrian cyclist collisions?
  2. Does UBC already have some rules in place to reduce collisions?
  3. How often are pedestrians involved in or witness collisions?
  4. Can cyclists be re-routed to not use Main Mall?
  5. Do cyclists prefer bike paths?
  6. Have bike paths in other areas of Vancouver improved pedestrian safety?

Methods

To execute my research, my primary sources will consist of conducting an anonymous survey for pedestrians. This will help me gather information about any collisions they were involved in or witnessed, major factors in the collisions and time of day they occurred. I will also use secondary sources, which would be studies conducted by the UBC School of Population and Health on pedestrian and cyclist’s safety in cities, and the implementation and subsequent results of bike lanes.

My Qualifications

I am a fourth year UBC science undergraduate student who has been a user of Main Mall to get to my classes and meetings every day. I have been involved in and witnessed collisions between pedestrians and cyclists and have discussed with my fellow peers regarding this issue many times. I have also written previous research papers on various issues using primary and secondary sources effectively.

Conclusion

Main Mall traffic has been increasing every year and pedestrian safety must be improved before more serious collisions occur. Pedestrians and cyclists are both frustrated and it would benefit both groups to find a solution. Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my proposal. With your approval, I will commence my research immediately.