Erica’s Memorandum to Evan Crisp

MEMORANDUM

To: Evan Crisp, Student ENGL 301
From: Erica Friedman, Student ENGL 301
Date: March 3, 2019
Subject: Getting Positive Results from Professors by Email

Introduction

Sorry to hear that Dr. Lambert hasn’t responded yet. I know that students have been successful in other cases; there is still time. Please see my suggestions for achieving positive results by email.

Best practices for writing to professors

Email appeals can be more successful by:

• Addressing the professor directly; a suitable opening is “Dear Dr. Lambert”
      • Recognizing the professor as an authority figure; being respectful in tone
      • Including relevant information only
      • Limiting grammatical and spelling errors
      • Expressing interest in making positive contributions to the course
      • Appreciating the professor’s busy schedule, and thanking them for their efforts; an effective closing is “Thank you in advance for your assistance”
      • Concluding with the student’s full name and contact details
      • Showing flexibility in how and when the student could be contacted

Conclusion

Try giving your appeal another chance. I suggest writing a follow-up email using the tips provided. If you have any questions, please contact me at erica.friedman@alumni.ubc.ca.

Good luck and congratulations on your imminent graduation!

Life-long learner, mother of 3, working in the nonprofit sector for many years (with a hiatus as a yoga instructor). Originally from Toronto, like many of my peers at the time, I migrated to Vancouver (and UBC) in the 1990's. (Yes. I'm an Oldie.) 18 years ago, I set off on what was supposed to be a one-year journey to Asia and well, I guess I'm still on that journey. I live in Tel Aviv, Israel with my husband (he's British), our children, and a frisky cat named Mitzi.