Unit 2 Reflection–Taylor Smith

During Unit 2 I found myself learning quite a lot about how to conduct myself professionally through my continued work on my Formal Report, while also learning how to present myself professionally online through the use of a LinkedIn profile. The required assignment of a Formal Report Outline, has served me well in helping me better understand the direction I want to take in my report. Also, the peer review aspect in Unit 2 provided me with some useful information on how I can make my report stronger.

Creating a LinkedIn profile was something that I have done once before, however, my previous attempt did not go as well. After reviewing our required readings and researching the Internet on how to make a LinkedIn profile stand out, I am quite happy with how my profile turned out, and I am excited to build my profile as I move through my academic and professional life. I believe it is important to have an online profile that highlights your achievements professionally and academically, as the world we live in today is very geared towards having an online image. Having a strong LinkedIn profile will undoubtedly aid me in my efforts of bettering myself in the professional world.

In Unit 2 a requirement was for us to create an outline for our Formal Report, as well we were asked to try and come up with either some survey or interview questions that would help strengthen our report. The outline has helped me see how I am going to piece together my report, which is very useful. Admittedly, working out an outline as detailed as the one that is required of us in this course is something I am not used to, as my outlines are usually quite minimal. Nevertheless, I see the importance of this assignment, and I believe I now have a better understanding of how to put together an outline, which will help me with other assignments I might have in the future.

Finally, I think the peer review aspect of this course is very important, as bouncing ideas off another like-minded student peer of mine is very helpful in bettering the skills I already have, while also obtaining new skills as I learn from my mistakes or shortcomings. I have always felt like I am a strong writer, however, I am also very much aware that I have areas that I need to improve in. Peer reviews help me in the latter, as all the information my peers are able to give me I take in and consider the help they are so graciously giving.

Revised Proposal: 301- Taylor-Smith-Formal Report Proposal

Hyperlink to Peer Review of my Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99c-2018wc/2019/02/06/peer-review-of-taylor-smiths-formal-report-proposal/