About ENGL 301

ENGL 301 Technical Writing is a dedicated writing course designed for students from variety of disciplines who want to learn the principles of written and online communications in business and professional settings.

Students will be introduced to the distinctive elements of writing in business, professional, and technical contexts. Students are given opportunities to practice the strategies and techniques through online discussion, peer review, preparation of abstracts, proposals, applications, reports, correspondence and other online communication methods such as emails, text, Web Folio and networking.

ENGL 301 is comprised of four units:

1. Principles, Practices and People in English 301
      • Audience, tone, clarity, presentation, and types of business correspondence.
    2. Designing a Report Proposal; Defining Terms with Audience in Mind
      • Formal report proposal.
      • Create a Linked-In profile.
    3. Designing a Report Outline & Draft; Building Your Resume and Job Application Skills
      • Formal report outline
      • Full application package for posting to Linked-In site; application can be for job posting, international volunteer position or a graduate school.
    4. Drafting the Formal Report; Peer Review and Final Report; Developing Networking Strategies
      • Formal report – with emphasis on organization, evidence, audience and style.
      • Social networking strategy

My expectations from this course

Writing is not my forte. I usually spend a long time thinking about what to write and how to present the information. I hope by taking this course, I can hone my written and online communication skills by following a systematic approach to composing business correspondence. Also, I am looking forward to seeing how my final report, application package on Linked-In and Web Folio will look like by the end of the course.