Best Work

The following are some of my works throughout the ENG 301 course. You are welcome to click on the link below to jump directly to the assignment of your interest.

1. Definition Assignment
    2. Peer Review of the Definition Assignment
    3. Formal Report Proposal and Progress Report with Surveys
    4. Complaint Letter and Response Letter
    5. Peer Review of Application Package
    6. Peer Review of Formal Report

1. Definition Assignment

The purpose of the definition assignment is to practice writing a technical term for audiences with varying degree of knowledge for this particular term.  The term I selected for this exercise is “scope creep”. This term commonly occurs in projects and is considered a project manager and project team’s worst nightmare. As part of the assignment, I have defined “scope creep” using parenthetical definition, sentence definition, and an expanded definition. The expanded definition includes four expansion strategies with one being the visual support for the technical term.

PDF: Revised Definition – Scope Creep

Return to top

The purpose of the peer review exercise for the definition assignment is to analyze teammate’s definition of their selected technical term and provide constructive feedback and recommendations for editing. As par of the exercise, I have peer reviewed the definition for “Tonsilloliths”.

PDF:  Peer Review of the Definition Assignment

Return to top

The purpose of the formal report proposal and the progress report is to brainstorm a research topic and start the planning for both the research and the formal report. As part of the exercise, I have set my research topic, identified the problem, described the purpose and significance of the report, formed a research plan and drafted a writing schedule.

PDF: Formal Report Proposal

PDF: Progress Report

PDF: Email Interview Invitation & Questionnaires

PDF: Questions for UBC IT Desktop Services

Return to top

4. Complaint Letter and Response Letter

The purpose of the complaint letter exercise is to practice writing an effective business document to persuade the audience to respond or act in a certain way, or to provide information. On the other hand, the response letter exercise is to practice writing strategically to reply to the correspondent’s criticisms. As part of the exercise, I have composed a complaint letter by outlining the inconveniences caused by the issue and supported my request with details and facts. As for the response letter exercise, I have looked at the issue from the company’s point of view and crafted an adjustment letter by expressing courteous appreciation of the complainant’s correspondence, stating the facts and offering a compensation less than what the complainant expected.

PDF: Complaint Letter

PDF: Response Letter

Return to top

5. Peer Review of Application Package

The purpose of the peer review exercise for the application package is to identify the important elements of an application package, create a template for review, analyze teammate’s application and provide constructive feedback and recommendations for edits. As part of the exercise, I have constructed a template to examine the following categories

• Cover Letter: introduction, body, conclusion
    • Resume: contact information, clear objectives, skills, education, employment history (if any), volunteer experience (if any), reference
    • Letters Requesting for Reference: clear purpose, letter format
    • Writing Style and Grammar

PDF: Peer Review of Application Package

Return to top

6. Peer Review of a Formal Report

The purpose of the peer review exercise for the formal report is to analyze the content, organization, style, and design for teammate’s formal report and provide constructive and balanced feedback, employing YOU attitude throughout the review.

PDF: Peer Review of Formal Report

Return to top