Module 1 – Post 2 – Sorrow, Fear, and Hope

After reading Hare’s, “Learning from Indigenous Knowledge in Education” I felt extremely sad. I feel that residential schools are a stain on Canadian culture that will be difficult to ever wash away but we must try to find a new path, new optimisms, and new hopes. While I have heard many shocking stories of residential schools, the quotes from First Nations people in this article brought tears to my eyes. As a father of 2 girls I would be completely devastated to see them taken from me. It made me feel ashamed to be caucasian.

As I scanned the internet afterwards, I found a site called “Warrior Publications” (also a WordPress site!) which report news of current struggles First Nations people are involved in across Canada. Recently, there have been articles posted about mining explorations in Alberta and oil pipelines – hot topics of debate across all of BC right now. The site also promotes “warrior culture, fighting spirit, and resistance movements.“. T-shirts have been fashioned for sale which showcase art by Indigenous artist Gord Hill, Kwakwaka’wakw. The images show traditional animals taking back the land by destroying signs of modern progress (ex. trains and pipelines). Another image “commemorates the 1802 Tlingit attack on the main Russian fort at Sitka” which is a frightening depiction of a First Nations warrior about to “finish off” a settler (?) who has a gun lying nearby.

When I see images like this, I believe that the artist is reflecting on how life would be different today if colonists were not welcomed with warmth by First Nations people. If white people had been “finished off” like in the T-shirt, perhaps the legacy of hurt would have been avoided.

I believe that we can continue to build a new Canada together, where I and my children can learn from the past and from our Aboriginal peoples. Where all peoples can exercise their rights to language and culture, and accept and celebrate our differences. I know that I will be part of a positive change in thinking and will be supportive of educational initiatives promoting First Nations.

Mel Burgess.