Connecting Statement – eLearning and Traditional Indigenous Health Literacy

Due to systemic neglect and forced efforts at assimilation, the disparities between the health status of the indigenous and non-indigenous population are significant with poorer health outcomes for Indigenous peoples. One of the key obstacles in achieving good outcomes in health care is the health literacy of the individual. Indigenous peoples, with their background of residential schools and exposure to racism have had difficulty in utilizing Western models of health literacy. Our Western definition of health literacy is the ability to read, understand, and use healthcare information to make decisions and follow instructions for treatment. The Indigenous learner, health literacy is defined as being aware of one`s own emotional health and in addressing one`s emotional needs one heals the body. A learner who uses this emotional knowledge model is frequently at a disadvantage in a health care system that is not sensitive to this reality due to a lack of educational resources. The goal of this research project is to create an online eLearning course that will educate and engage the user in the most common issues regarding indigenous health care and what be done at a local level to improve them.  This eLearning module will seek to demonstrate unique Indigenous perspectives in the transmission of knowledge regarding emotional health literacy. By using eLearning courseware, this project will serve as a means by which contemporary learning technology can be used as an educational tool for traditional Indigenous practices.

2 thoughts on “Connecting Statement – eLearning and Traditional Indigenous Health Literacy

1. melburgess

Wow! I think your idea of an eModule is very interesting. I am thinking that the video from Dr. Lee Brown was an inspiration for your idea? I think the idea of “health literacy” is one that is well worth investigating and promoting to peoples of all ages. I look forward to seeing what you put together in your project,
    Mel Burgess.

1. Maxim Fishman Post author

Hi Mel,

Health Literacy is a very interesting area of study which is getting a lot of attention now. Given the unique circumstances and understanding of First Nation’s people, it seemed natural for me to try to approach this issue through and eLearning course that will help explain certain ideas through interactive media. Dr. Lee Brown certainly confirmed my view regarding this approach.

Maxim