Statement Connecting Blog to Research

In my early research for this course, I was very inspired by an Australian blog posting about Victorian Indigenous Communities and Digital Storytelling. Based on my response to this post, as well as the themes of our initial readings, I would like to focus my research on the use of digital storytelling as a strategy for indigenous education. This topic is of particular relevance for me, because in our work with Digital Education Strategies at Ryerson University, my colleagues and I promote digital storytelling as a useful strategy for teaching and learning. As such, I would like to deepen my understanding of this technique and its pedagogical value.

Some of the topics and questions that I would like to explore include:

• The role of storytelling in Indigenous culture.
  • To what extent can Indigenous storytelling, which is anchored in strong oral tradition, be conveyed through digital tools?
  • The process of creating digital stories and the intrinsic value of this process.

In addition to our course readings and the sites which I have already shared through my Module 1 weblog, here is a preliminary list of references:

Hopkins, C. (2006) Making Things Our Own: The Indigenous Aesthetic in Digital Storytelling. Leonardo , Vol. 39, No. 4, Pacific Rim New Media Summit Companion, pp. 341-344

Wilcox A.C., Harper S.L., Edge V.L. (2013) Storytelling in a digital age: digital storytelling as an emerging narrative method for preserving and promoting indigenous oral wisdom. Qualitative Research, 2013; 13(2):127–147.