Statement Connecting Weblog to Research Interests

At this point, I want to use the assignment to explore some of the issues in First Nations Education, possibly with some content regarding education and technology. I work for a First Nations organization the supports First Nation schools in Manitoba. There is a movement towards First Nation self-governance and for this to extend to Education. Topics I would like to explore include:

–          What are the desired educational outcomes for First Nations people?
–          What role do governments play in First Nations education?
–          What changes are First Nations people requesting/advocating for themselves regarding education.
–          What makes First Nations education unique? What are the differences between First Nations education, which is federally funded, and Provincial education, which is provincially funded?
–          What effect does the Indian Act have on education?
–          What are the spin-off effects to First Nations people with improved education? How will their lives be enhanced?
–          How does First Nations culture affect the way First Nations people learn?
–          How does spirituality affect First Nations people regarding Education?
–          Why is language important to First Nations people? Why in Education?
–          What has been the history of education of First Nation people in Canada?
–          What are residential schools? Why were they used with First Nation people?
–          What are some of the educational initiatives being taken in First Nation Education today?
(I’m already over 200 words here. Wow, that isn’t a lot of words to work with 😉

————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Updated version

How does an increase in technology use support or detract from the ability of Aboriginal youth to develop self- and cultural identity?