Module 2 – Post #1 – Right in Front of Me

It is true that when searching for ideas and resources, it is sometimes easy to overlook the things that are right in front of you. The Ryerson Image Centre is directly beside my office, and every day I walk past a large, glass enclosed area of the building that houses a rotating display of images from current exhibits. I realized recently that, as I rushed to grab coffee each day, some of the images that were catching my eye brought to mind many of the themes of ETEC521. Sure enough, I soon discovered that one of the exhibits that is currently running at the Centre is Ghost Dance, a show which includes 99 journalistic photographs, capturing elements of aboriginal life and activism in North America.

While the images themselves are beautiful and intriguing, something that I found equally interesting about this exhibit is the blog associated with it. The blog is designed to serve as a forum for visitors to share any memories or associations they might have with the people, events or locations captured in the photos. Unfortunately, so far, no comments have been posted to the blog to provide deeper insights into these images.

I hope to return to the exhibit and to the blog again over the next few weeks. While the curator of the exhibit has chosen an engaging selection of images, how much more engaging and informative might the show be if the true stories behind the images, or even parts of these stories, were to be shared by those involved?