Hello from Vancouver, B.C.

Hi Everyone! My name is Rachel Chiang and I am a university academic advisor in Vancouver, Canada. This is my 8th/9th course and I am very excited (but also anxious) about completing the MET program. I am hoping to shift my career from advising to learning design after this so any tips on making the transition would be great. : )

In my spare time, I like to visit local shops to try out different pastries. I also enjoy grocery shopping to the extent that my friends find it is rather peculiar.  Unfortunately, I am not able to indulge in this weird hobby of mine since COVID-19. This strange time also offers opportunities for industries that never considered moving business online to have another look of how they run things and whether it is still practical to keep the old practice. I am looking forward to learning more with you all in this course.

Vancouver Mural Festival 2020 and I think the message is quite fitting with what we’re facing now. “Every exit is an entry somewhere else”

13 responses to “Hello from Vancouver, B.C.”

1. Erica Hargreave

Having a chuckle at your ‘peculiar hobby’. I have to say, I take rather a great deal of pleasure grocery shopping too. Especially when it takes me to very local food vendors. I am not sure if you are a frequenter of Richmond Country Farms, but if you have yet to go, you must rectify that with a visit. Basically, there is a whole strategy to the shop there. You start by stopping in at their winery and sampling the latest wines, before buying a bottle or two (or perhaps a case). Then you walk over to the farm market, having a chat with all the farmyard animals along the way. If you feel the need for a bit of sobering, based on how big and how many wine samples you indulged in, then head into the market to help yourself to a free coffee. After which, I recommend perusing through the garden section, before going nuts on buying all of your local produce … etc (remembering to check out the freezers for local pies, ice cream, and other goodies). Oh, and one tip, even if not advertised, if you feel like canning, pickling, or jamming, they will often give you a very reasonable box price, if you ask after one. So with that, you now have proof for your friends that you are not alone in your peculiarities!

1. Rachel

So glad to meet a fellow grocery shopping aficionado! I love your virtual country farm tour and you’re a great storyteller. I’ve been going to Richmond Country Farms frequently but I don’t think I ever completed the whole tour ; ). Will have to give it a try and I will report back on the experience.

1. Erica Hargreave

Most excellent. I shall be there with you in spirit, as I have been missing those shops, while I’ve been away from the lower mainland.

2. adrian wheeler

Hi Rachel,

I’m also a huge fan of exploring bakeries in Vancouver. The food scene here is one of biggest attractions for me.

1. Rachel

I hear you, Adrian! What’s your favourite bakery in Vancouver? My plan is to visit all the bakeries in Vancouver but this is proven to be too ambitious.

2. Laura Ulrich

Adrian, I completely agree! The food in the lower mainland is the thing I miss the most!
      Rachel, if you get the chance, stop by The Pie Hole in Burnaby 😉
      Also, Hello!

1. Rachel

Hello back, Laura! I’m madly taking notes now and the funny thing is I was actually in Burnaby today! Next time for sure. : )
        Looking forward to learning with you in this class!

1. Alice Shin

Rachel, there’s another Pie Hole on Fraser St. in Vancouver, depending on where you are located. It’s amazing pie.
          Then there’s Savary Island Pie Co., West Vancouver
          And at Granville Island Market I’m sure you can score a delicious pie in one of their bakery shops.
          As you can tell, I love pie.

Enjoy yourself as you attempt to visit all Van bakeries; in the meantime, I look forward to learning with you in this course!

1. Rachel

Thanks Alice! Perhaps one day we can all meet up for pies when it’s safe to do so again.

Would love to hear more about your experience in education and course design too. Happy learning! : )

3. JamieTooze

Hi Rachel!
    Great to be in another class with you too. I really loved your A1 post on the challenges of online learning. We need new innovations to make the whole experience better – maybe ETEC 522 is our chance!
    JT

4. Vijaya Jammi

Hello Rachel, Look forward to working together on the assignment -Week 12 with you. It’ll be great to be learning more with you on it!

5. tara davis

Hello,
    Can you tell me more about learning design and what jobs are available in this field?

Of the MET courses you took, which were the most valuable for your learning? I am just in my first course and am curious to learn more about the courses.

1. Rachel

Hi Tara,

Welcome to the program and the course! To be quite honest, I’m still navigating the learning design field myself so not much I can share at this moment. I’m currently in university advising so I thought it would be wonderful to combine what I know about student learning with what I’ve learned about educational technologies.

I enjoy all the courses I have taken so far but as someone who has zero learning design background, I love 524 Learning Technologies: Selection, Design and Application the most. I would say definitely find ones that align with your interests the most so you can get the best out of the program. Good luck! : )