Hi I’m Tiffany!

Hi everyone! My first thought upon arriving on this thread and reading through all of your intros is that I deeply appreciate that this program is a place where people of different backgrounds, experiences, talents, and expertise can meet, share ideas, inspire each other, and create! I myself am a high school teacher based in Coquitlam, BC. In the past few years I have had the opportunity to wear many hats, teaching various subjects from Sciences, to Mandarin, to Art, and Home Economics. My background is in Nutritional Sciences which I completed at UBC, and there I also completed my teaching degree not long after.ย And after a couple year of teaching in the public school system here I am! Since I applied for the May intake, this will be my first ETEC course (along with ETEC500) and I am excited to get started.

I use a fair share of technology in the classroom currently (covid-19 edition) and I enjoy trying new programs and apps as they are introduced or recommended to me. Being in a pandemic has pushed me even harder to use different technologies, but I have found that not all students are benefiting from it equally and am hoping to find some answers and solutions! Aside from teaching high school courses, I also take a lot of interest in sustainability education and design, so if I could find meaningful ways to intersect these with technology it would be very valuable to me.

In my spare time (but truthfully speaking it’s all the time), I am a hard-core DIYer, crazy plant lady, and a big fan of the outdoors. 

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

6 responses to “Hi I’m Tiffany!”

1. Adrian

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to the MET, I think you’ll like it here!

I’m curious to what you DIY – any pics of latest projects? (I love to DIY too)

1. tiffany ku

Hi Adrian,

Thank you! Always happy to meet a fellow DIYer. My latest project has been an outdoor plant wall on my deck and the fire bowl in the photo! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G6hajbHGzFXLYxQbTA2VjYk25123Eb_H/view?usp=sharing Planning to build a small rectangular pond to the left of the deck but haven’t quite worked out the details yet. Progress is slow with full time work and now part-time school, but I’m looking forward to completing it in time for the summer. (Or at least that’s the hope haha.) What kind of DIY do you do?

2. Feras Alachek

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to MET! I have already take ETEC 500 and it requires a considerable amount of reading to be honest. However, I am sure you can manage since you mentioned you have some time to spare. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sustainability education and design sounds very interesting to me, and I would like to learn more about the main concepts and opportunities there.

See you later

1. tiffany ku

Thanks Feras! And thanks for the tips. I am indeed always a DIYer/ crazy plant lady but unfortunately I have less time now that I am studying part-time while working full-time.

Yes for sure, see you around! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Josh Wood

Tiffany,
    Nice to meet you! That is really interesting to hear that you graduated from an international school, and I’ve heard great things about TAS. TAS was high up on our list of places we (my wife and I) would have loved to land when we were in the job search. Each of our experiences in Vietnam, Korea and now HK have been very different, all with their won unique benefits. HKIS is the first school I have worked that is truly international, both in terms of students and faculty. It’s exciting that you are considering heading back to Asia…please keep in touch if there’s anything you’d like to ask.

4. Joyce Lo

Hi Tiffany,
    Welcome! The MET program is great and I am sure you will meet lots of wonderful people along the way.
    I read that you are from Taiwan. I taught in southern Taiwan for a year and it was neat to experience the different culture and education system. It was interesting for me to learn that the Taiwanese culture has been influenced by the Japanese in the past.