Howdy & Hello

Hello everyone, and hope you are all having a smooth transition into the September semester.

Admittedly, I am writing this post from a (thankfully in-service) trailhead in Banff National Park. It is already dark, and I am hanging out with my headlamp and salt and vinegar chips, gobbling up all of your “Author” posts. Although this is only my second class in the MET program, I have been finding it most interesting and valuable to learn about what all of you have done/are doing/plan on doing – so thanks for sharing!

Remote field work, circa 2014. No Wi-Fi available.

As for me. I am a doer of many things, too. I started my career as a field biologist, transitioned into a research coordinator, and now provide all sorts of support for organizations (mostly non-profits) that work in the environmental/stewardship sector. I have been involved in education in a workplace context – from training field technicians for data collection to delivering outdoor environmental education to youth. A large part of my work now is providing technical support for online workshops and webinars, helping build websites (mostly content development), and developing different remote learning opportunities geared towards educating environmental professionals and stewardship practitioners.

Ten, or even five years ago, I did not really understand (and perhaps I still don’t) how vital technology is to education. It’s exciting to think about all the possibilities, and how they may shape the future of how we learn and teach about the natural world. I’m excited for my brain to stretch (and probably hurt a little bit) as I explore this course.

Thanks for reading and talk soon!

4 responses to “Howdy & Hello”

1. Justine

Nice to meet you Kendal! You have a fascinating professional background. I can’t wait to hear more about your adventures!

1. Kendal

Thanks Justine, and likewise!

2. SafaaAbuSaa

Nice to meet you, Kendal.

Your background sounds interesting!
    I wish you the best on your MET journey.
    I look forward to learn with and from you.

1. Kendal

Thanks, Safaa! Great to meet you as well and hope you’re having a great start to the semester (: