12 responses to “A3 – Venture Pitch: EduSphere”

1. Nik Ottenbreit

Very engaging elevator pitch! I must say, I was immediately excited about the idea and curious to learn more in the venture pitch. What I like especially about this idea is that it offers a different way to explore the virutal world without needing to access (and purchase) VR technology. Instead of a school having to find the budget to acquire VR headsets, teachers can choose to rent an EduSphere for when it suits them. Also, the collaborative aspect is a great thing to consider. Whereas VR creates individual worlds for each student, the sphere allows students to explore together and have a shared experience.

I was curious to learn more about the logistics of setting up the sphere. From my understanding, it would be set up in the classroom for the period of time that the teacher would like to rent it. I would imagine it might be tricky to install the sphere in certain classrooms that have either odd dimensions or objects in the way that can’t be moved easily. Would having a giant sphere in the classroom become cumbersome with students constantly walking in and out of it? In the marketing of this product, I think it would be worth convincing the educator about the ease of installing, working within, and disassembling of it.

Very unique idea!

1. C DeFazio

Hey Nik,

Thanks for your feedback! I’m happy that you found the elevator pitch engaging and that you see the potential in the idea. That being said, you’ve raised some valid points regarding the logistics of setting up the EduSphere in classrooms. Let me try to explain it a little more.

In regards to the concerns about installation, I would design the EduSphere to be inflated in the space of a gymnasium or an outdoor area rather than a classroom. I think I could have been more cleat in this respect and added a photo of a “prototype” but it wasn’t at all enough of an explanation.The instalation would be very similar to that of a bouncy castle. The team comes in, inflates it and sets up the projector as the screen would be “built in.” THen when leaving the gym after the week of rental they would simply deflate it and pack it up.

Also, regarding the issue of students moving in and out of the sphere, I completely agree. The solution would include clear guidelines for classroom management and etiquette to minimize disruptions. Educators can also utilize scheduling features to coordinate usage effectively. In my marketing I would emphasize the ease of use and versatility of the EduSphere, highlighting its potential to upgrade the learning experience without the need for expensive VR tech.

Thank you again for your feedback and support, Nik!

2. Bianca Therese Joson

Hi Carlo!

Great venture pitch. I think this kind of tech has a place in the classroom. I like History and I often refer to pictures on YouTube clips to orient myself in a particular place or time period. Visualization is key! ????

Like Nik’s comment about the logistics, in my head, I thought it would be better to set this up in the school gym or somewhere there’s a big enough space to house the dome. That being said, I think the venture pitch could have provided the dimensions of the dome, how it’s going to be powered, and basic dome set up inside (where are the projectors and how many students can be in the dome?). I searched one of the products you provided and it said it could be about 16 ft. That’s quite huge, but I expected that so that it could provide that IMAX like experience to the students.

I also like the fact that you included corporations and museums as possible clients. For corporations, I think marketing would be a little bit different. You need to find a strong case for employees to sit in a dome and do some activities. Maybe this kind of technology would be more beneficial to specific industries where visualization is highly important like aviation.
    The part of teaching I enjoy is the creation of materials, so I think if this business ever gets picked up, creating the videos and lesson plans would be great fun. What kinds of activities are you thinking of? Would the students be allowed to do things while in the dome?

1. C DeFazio

Hey Bianca!

Thanks so much for your feedback and thoughts on my venture pitch. I’m stoked that you see some potential for classroom use!

So, to address your points about logistics, as I mentioned to Nik, you’re absolutely right that providing more information about the dimensions of the sphere, power requirements and the setup process would be very valuable. The standard sphere/dome size would indeed be around 16ft in diameter to ensure that it can accommodate a good number of students while providing comfort and an immersive experience, somewhat similar to IMAX. Setting up the sphere in a larger space like the school gym is definitely my vision, yes, and it’s something I would discuss with each school based on their available preferences.

As for activities inside the sphere, I see some possibilities for sure. The level of interactivity can vary depending on the lesson objectives obviously, but I would aim to provide engaging experiences that definitely promote explorationn and critical thinking. When it comes to corporate clients, you’re right on about marketing to suit certain needs. I thought about aviation as well! I remember seeing the site on aviation and thought it could work so well with training simulations. I would also look into architecture and engineering as I think that both could benefit from visualization tools for training and simulations.

And yes, creating the educational content for the sphere would definitley be one of the largest parts of the business becoming successful. I was planning to eventually develop a library of immersive videos, simulations and lesson plans that align with various curriculum standards of BC. I actually have a background in film and have many friends who are videographers and world travellers. I would have them shoot in various places for the company and commission my team to bring the best visuals back to the sphere. I would of course use some of the investment money to do this and to film some of it myself. 🙂

Thank you again for your insights and kind comments for my venture!

3. meagan kelm

Review

Hi Carlo

Thanks for your work on your venture pitch for EduSphere. Parts of the pitch that I thought were strengths included addressing challenges found in traditional education by providing an immersive and engaging learning experience. The ease of implementation was also a strength in that there were trained experts doing the work including set-up, IT help and teaching. Some challenges EduSphere might face is the immense task of creating a library of content before launch. Creating experiences is costly and takes time something that may stall the launch of the sphere. Something that you touched on but you could have spent a little more time on is showcasing how your product is different from others. Because there are other similar products it would be good to showcase why people should pick your product over others.

1. C DeFazio

Hey Meagan,

Thanks for commenting on the EduSphere pitch. I appreciate your feedback as well as the constructive criticism you’ve provided!

You pointed out one of the main challenges that most companies like this would have, which is the startup of a library of content before launch. Creating immersive experiences calls for a major investment of resources. As I mentioned to Bianca, I actually come from a film background and still have many friends still in the industry. The investment would have to help pay for that startup content for sure and I would love to personally film pieces as well that obviously aligns with different curriculum standards. By the look of the super speed that tech is currently growing at, I would even imagine there being options for people to create their own content, film it and then upload it to the sphere themselves.

While there may be other immersive learning experiences available, EduSphere stands out to me personally as many, many others only focus on astronomy. I definitely should have communicated these points more clearly in my pitch.

Thanks so much for your honest feedback!

Carlo

4. Andrew

REVIEW:

Right from the start, I was captivated by your elevator pitch. It succinctly and accurately outlined the problem, solution, and ask, and was complemented by visuals that brought the product to life in my mind. Well done.

Your comprehensive venture pitch delves into the current pain points in detail, and your solution is presented in a clear and straightforward manner, which is excellent. One potential add-on would be to provide a brief breakdown or visualization of what a classroom or school might expect – an example of a typical day with EduSphere:

“An EduSphere Pro arrives at 8 am to set up the EduSphere in your large space (gym). Classes are scheduled and enter the gym in their time slot. K-2 classes are transported to a small town to learn how to shop at a store and navigate traffic safely, while Grade 4s visit an Indigenous village to explore land stewardship. Grade 6s enter and embark on a space exploration journey, diving into celestial bodies and satellite technology.”

Your target market and competitor sections are informative and impactful. I recommend adding a final column to your competitor table showcasing EduSphere’s unique features, perhaps with a distinct color to visually highlight the difference. Your full-service approach could be a standout advantage. Additionally, the detailed distributions section provides a comprehensive view of EduSphere’s potential applications in and outside of education, which is beneficial for prospective investors like myself.

Overall, I’m impressed and would be interested in investing in EduSphere and its team.

5. Devon Bobowski

FEEDBACK – The idea of a portable, immersive experience sounds like a great addition to school experiences. Some more detail on the technical aspects, size, etc. could let potential investors better understand how this would play out in the market (i.e. what requirements for location hosting, costs, maintenance, etc.). I think there could also be some interesting partnership ideas possible – museums could host permanent exhibits, and act as local resources or distributors; camera companies (GoPro, Nikon) could form alliances to procure high quality source content.

6. Bradley Miller

FEEDBACK

Hi Carlo,

Awesome concept! I wasn’t aware of those portable spheres before, so that’s pretty fascinating. However, I hit a snag with the elevator pitch – it seems there was an issue with YouTube not connecting properly. Also, your reflection on the absence of proprietary technology in your venture caught my attention. It made me wonder if leveraging an existing product to create unique experiences could be a more viable path. If the technology is already out there, focusing on crafting meaningful learning content and expanding the available resources could indeed be impactful. Moreover, aligning this content with educational curricula and developing supplementary teaching materials could add significant value.

Thanks for the insight!

7. Empch

Hello Carlo,

My first impression was positive. Your elevator pitch caught my interest right away and I wanted to learn more. The information you presented within your venture pitch was very organized – I believe this gave your work credibility. As a potential investor, I would want to trust in you and your idea. You gave a sense of presence in your presentation, particularly with you narrating the elevator pitch – good idea. You did a good job with presenting and your idea was powerful. Your presentation design was also well done. I especially liked the interactive buttons where I could access more information, which I did. I wonder if a few more pictures throughout your venture pitch would have helped your presentation design. Overall, awesome job!

Emma

8. Daniel Edwards

Hey Carlo,

Your elevator pitch was highly engaging and captured my attention right away. As others have mentioned, the concept of your venture pitch is a very unique and compelling idea. Your venture pitch was also comprehensive of the market’s future, competitors, and the plan for revenue streams, which were relevant and incisive to this idea. Your investment plan seems reasonable in all business areas, from the equipment to R&D, salaries, and marketing.

From my perspective as an investor, I would be ready to invest in this project. From my perspective as a customer or client, I would call to get a quote or possibly a trial and then get a time set up for it.

9. Rich

Hi Carlo,
    I love Edushpere! If I had the money to invest in it I would.
    Your pitch was immediately captivating. Admittedly I didn’t know such a product existed. I have been in planetariums (so cool) and have heard about the giant sphere in Las Vegas, but I didn’t know there are small portable ones. The only barrier to the user I would imagine is that it could be a bit claustrophobic for some people(?). I think you’ve got an amazing idea and I do think it could be successful. The only thing I would say critically in a constructive way is that my guess is that you’ve priced this way too low. For example an annual subscription includes monthly visits and only costs $12,000. $1,000 would not come close to covering the overhead costs of a site visit in my opinion. I’ve paid close to $1000 just to have those photo booths at events for a day. As you are targeting educational institutions I think it may be easier to sell the rental model rather than the subscription. Again $1500 for the day is in my opinion way too low. You need $400 just to cover the cost of a ‘teacher’ employee. Transportation, insurance, plus overhead plus profit margin and a buffer for wear and tear. I think this product is worth more like 5 to 10 thousand a day without knowing the overhead costs. You could do the low end for schools and the high end for corporate. I think it would be highly saleable at those prices. Again with the investment cost of $250,000 for 10%, would you be looking for 1 investor or more? I imagine the hardware is fairly expensive, but I am also curious about the software. If you were to start this business and gain some measure of success, you may get someone interested to partner on the software side such as EA (in Burnaby). All in all, this was such an exciting venture pitch to read. I think you did the right thing as a student in the MET program or as a student in general, you have the freedom to dream big as it may or may not be a hypothetical. This is a big idea!
    How lucky we are in Burnaby to have such visionary teachers!
    Thank you
    Rich