Choosing Space

As a commercial venture, the goal is to create a sustainable business.  Therefore, the space needs to reflect current business goals.  Think about what is currently achievable and sustainable – more often than not, successful makerspaces move several times throughout the first couple of years as they expand.  Industry Lab in Massachusetts started in 2009 as a small-scale well-equipped workshop with 2 conference/classrooms, a mix of workstations, dedicated workspace and lock and key spaces.  In 2010, expansion forced its move to seek out 5000 square feet and more recently, it has nearly doubled to 11,000 square feet and is now looking to expand to 13, 600 square feet.  Therefore, the ideal solution is to look at what is currently required, affordable and sustainable and invest in short-term leases to allow room for expansion.

While finding a space can be daunting, if founders are flexible, there are many options, including free ones.  It is possible to re-purpose old warehouses, industrial spaces, old schools etc. For example, Andrew Coy,  Executive Director of the Digital Harbor Foundation, established Baltimore’s first free, public, neighborhood makerspace in an empty Parks & Recreation building that was about to be shut down.

Three key factors determine space size- affordability, equipment, and services offered.   As an independent business, most start-up funding will be out-of-pocket or through other means, cheap rent will be a priority.  Keep in mind, there are always deals to be made – Industry labs got a prime location at a great discount for their first space. The landlord struck a deal cheap rent, for attracting related businesses to the mall.  Other makerspaces leased out larger spaces, but sub-leased areas as private offices.   Start out with what is affordable, and will fit the administrative/staffing models.

As for equipment, studies show the biggest draws are laser cutters and 3D printers – so the space should be large enough to accommodate at least one of these two options.  There will also be a need for at least one classroom space as classes are a great marketing tool and a necessity.  For legal and insurance reasons, safety courses are necessary.  Courses on new techniques, crafts, and equipment draw people in, promote creation and retain members.  Other mandatory services are workspaces and workshops. Workspaces are about 75-150 SF per person.  Workshops provide space for all your major equipment, and can be organized by craft.  Minimum workshop space is 300-500 SF per type of craft (i.e. wood work, sewing, laser cutting etc.)

It may be helpful to conceptualize five distinct types of makerspaces:

• Small teach-only makerspaces (500-3000SF) – provide classrooms, low utilities  and teach only space.  Great for one person to own and operate.
  • Streamlined makerspaces provide the minimum services.  These can start with as little as 1000 SF and go up to 8000 SF. Typical models include  1 large piece of equipment and a couple smaller pieces in a dedicated workshop, workbenches, 1 classroom and minimal storage, and volunteers take care of a lot of the day-to-day operations. The Geek Group has a 1500 SF space that has small artist studios and business stalls and a couple pieces of milling equipment.  A space like this requires  a couple of founding members, or one founder with several paid/volunteer staff.
  • Shared plots in a large building (4,000 to 25,000+ square feet)  Many individuals and business co-rent a space and share equipment.
  • Large makerspaces (4,000-20,000) SF where members have access to classrooms, large equipment, and can rent storage facilities, studios, workshops etc.
  • Big corporate and non-profit makerspaces like Artisan’s Asylum and TechShop at around 8000-40000 SF.  These makerspaces can rent space to small businesses, provide mentorship networks, shared tools and workspaces, and require paid staff.

According to Make magazine, informal surveys suggest an ideal starting size is around 8000 SF, in a low rent area.  This allows for some classroom space, rental studios, workshops, storage, some workspaces and a reception desk.  Of course, these may be more expensive to run at the outset, given a need for at least a couple of paid staff, or 3-4 founders.

Within each makerspace, the types of services offered can vary.  Choices of services can include:

• Reception Area: to welcome members, provide assistance etc.
  • Socialization and Food Service Areas:  Members who work long hours will need to eat, and it isn’t a good idea for them do this around equipment.  Also given that collaboration is a key aspect of makerspaces, people will naturally  socialize, so if space isn’t provided, they will end up creating their own.  Seated people need a minimum of 15 SF per person
  • Rental Studios – Many makerspaces such as Artisan’s Asylum and TechShop rent out studio space.  A great way to raise money, and cover rent.  Many members, especially in areas with few artist studios, like Calgary, really covet studio space.  Studio rental space can range from 50SF up to 250SF.
  • Storage Space – Most makerspaces rent out storage space in addition to membership fees.  Storage space can be as simple as a locked box on a shelf for a few bucks, a whole shelf (8-12 SF) or storage lockers/rooms for hundreds of dollars.
  • Gallery/Display space – Makers like to show off their work, plus it can draw in potential members or promote partnerships, so having some room for everyone to display their achievements might be a good draw.
  • Retail Space – If you are interested in making things to sell, then having a place to sell them is important.  Moreover,  having a space for members to sell their work, by charging a minimum commission (think consignment stores), is also another way for you to make a little money.  You will need to have display space, storage space for stock and a sales terminal, plus someone to staff it.

Having enough room for services, people and equipment is not all that needs to be considered when selecting a space.  Also important are:

• Space for ventilation, electrical equipment and other code requirements
  • Fire lanes and room for those who have mobility issues – at least 25% of your space is dead space, to allow for easy and safe exit corridors in emergencies ( not to mention room for paramedics should something go horribly wrong)
  • Space for emergency equipment (i.e. fire extinguishers, defibrillators, bid first-aid kits)
  • Restrooms and Plumbing

Clearly, choosing a space is not as simple as previously thought, but it can be an exciting

moment, as it is a point where vision becomes a reality.

Discussion:  Take a few minutes and go to Grizzly.com – a free workshop planning site and design your makerspace.  Do a screen shot of your workshop, and paste the image to your comments. Please note that WordPress does not allow embedded HTML in the comments section.

Discussion Summary: As the ETEC522 2013 Winter Term 1 cohort discussion shows, there is no singular approach to creating a makerspace, and what it should contain, even in terms of basic utilities like toilets.  Enjoy looking at these different designs!

Please view the cohort experience in the comments below. If you are accessing this OER after November 3, 2013, you are welcome to further contribute to the discussion.

←Last Page

Next Page→

19 Responses to Choosing Space

1. I’m not sure I am fully qualified to design a makerspace (or any space for that matter), but I gave it the ol’ college try. Mind you, I think I may have too many tools.

The dog’s name is Sir Barksalot.

2. jasonharbor says:

A small, simple space for processing and storage of wild game.

3. Naomi says:

Great job guys. They look fantastic!

4. jiorns says:

Looks like the Grizzly tool was designed by a man. No toilets and handbasins !!

5. https://www.dropbox.com/s/zav5qumoqy7w4nd/20131029_164050.jpg

here is the link to my Creative Crafterspace. Right now I meet up with some ladies at a coffee shop to knit together. This would be a much better place.

• Naomi says:

It would indeed. Maybe you could get larger craft circles going to raise the funds for your dream!

• Hello Lois,
      As a quilter, I love your sketchup crafterspace! I’m interested to hear about the history of the knitting circle at your coffee shop – did you start with friends going to knit at a certain place, or did solo knitters see each other and eventually collect a group?

• We did start with a few friends getting together, and they told a few friends and so and so on. Some weeks there are lots, sometimes there are just a couple. It is casual and supportive, with no commitment or pressure. Unlike bookclub, if I didn’t get around to reading the book, the get together is not as much fun. Knittin’ it Up is great where ever you are, when ever you can. When turning a no pressure group into a buisiness, it automatically adds pressure. Could the when ever and where ever you are continue with the need to make money?

6. jetz66 says:

Fun activity! Also these are some great resources that you have put together!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WKY_nJx0CIVHRYMTFwaVZLenM/edit?usp=sharing

7. Diane says:

I had some fun working on my makerspace. Can’t say it was striking in any way, so elected not to save it. I was challenged in guessing how many tools would actually be needed by a small makerspace, and surprised at how quickly my space filled up.
    I did find the tools (under structural) to create a washing up space. In the one I created, the washroom had a sink, toilet and shower stall, thinking the latter would be helpful after a day of dusty work in the woodworking section. Additionally, I included a first aid station, including an eye wash area and a landline for connecting with 9-1-1 should the unfortunate need arise. Thanks for the fun activity, Diane

• dave says:

Hi Diane,

It’s hard to say exactly what tools you would need, especially if you are not a maker. I think having a generous amount of space for taking a shower and such things would depend on the budget and whether or not you think comfort is going to increase the number of members or if it will add to the expenses and decrease possible workspace. I originally didn’t think about having a significant sized change room and showers, now you’ve got me thinking…

Thanks for the post!

• Hello Diane,
      Safety first, it’s always good thinking! As the discussion has been underway over on the legalities and insurance page, it’s important to note that depending on the type of space, it can become more and more important to have these necessary precautions. I’m glad you had fun engaging with this activity.

8. Adam Matthews says:

I’m enjoying this exploration into makerspaces. I’m getting a little depressed as we go thinking about my poor hometown. As a decaying mill town, there is a lot of skill scattered around as well as equipment. The high school has essentially shut down the wood shop and metal working just as there seems to be a resurgence in crafting. These abandoned spaces could easily be repurposed as a community-based school makerspace. Safety, sanitation etc. access would already be in place and funding could possibly be received through the district as well as the community. I would imagine the addition of some of the previously mentioned heavy hitters, 3d printers and laser cutters would add to student enrollment, retention and engagement. The makerspace patrons could also provide excellent mentoring for students. The space could function as an alternative education environment with students being employed and tutored by willing makers.
    I bring this up as I cannot see the makerspace model working in a small town without external support. What is the typical population required to support these spaces? I feel these environments will be the future of education for those lucky enough to have access. A great opportunity for apprenticeship if you can find the right maker.

9. Hello @adammatthews, thank you for your comment and situation in your hometown.

I think that the viability of a makerspace in any community all depends on its community, and having people available who are interested in organizing and administrating it. I’m not sure about the situation at your hometown highschool, but perhaps there is not a teacher available to head the metal and woodshops, or there is another problem that may not externally visible. My hometown has a similar story of recession of yours, with significant population decline in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s, but the highschool still has it’s wood and metal programs. The town I currently live in has approximately 7,000 people, and the highschool has an extensive maker culture, including a for-profit arm where students build and sell furniture and a production lab fully equipped to make snowboards from start to finish. Even in my previous location on Haida Gwaii, with a highschool population of 180 students, there was an enormous, fully-equipped woodshop, because woodworking is culturally important in the community, and a bike kitchen shared the woodshop’s space and tools. These examples occur in relatively small towns, but none would be possible without the administrative support and teacher skillset to operate.