TikTok Teachers

Link to @iteachalgebra if video embedded does not load.

https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2019/11/13/tiktok-powerful-teaching-tool-or-classroom-management.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/math-tiktok-accounts-viral-sat-personal-finance-tips-2020-4

TikToking teachers have come up on my TikTok feed recently (as I downloaded it for some entertainment while stuck at home) and they are killing the teaching game! As seen in the post above, @iteachalgebra shares brief math lessons/tips for her students. I came across two articles that share success stories, examples and negative effects of TikTok teachers. I recommend taking a look at some of @iteachalgebra’s videos for some inspiration and ideas for how she connects with her students, especially during this time out of the classroom. Business Insider shares stories from various teachers and describes how Tik-Tok can be used to teach math as it breaks down concepts in 15 sec to 1 minute videos for students. Alyson Klien from Education Week shares some positives but also addressed the negative effects such as management, tool for bullying, data privacy issues, and inappropriate content.

Any Tik-Tok teachers in ETEC 540 that could share their perspective?

3 responses to “TikTok Teachers”

1. sebastien renald

Hello Meg, I have been teaching for over 15 years and have always been fascinated by the evolution of technology in education and more recently the use of a mobile device in the classroom to facilitate learning. I teach language and literature in high school and for a long time now, paper dictionaries and grammars have disappeared in favor of more complete, efficient, always up-to-date and definitely more compact apps. I also explored with my students the use of social media with a Facebook group or an Instagram hashtags, but I am not yet a TikTok teacher. I downloaded the app, but I can hardly see myself doing a little learning show of a few seconds for my students. However, I want to throw the ball to my students, whether they are TikTok Students. I’m going to let them show some agency and show me tips for mastering the French language on TikTok while encouraging French-speaking songs. To take the thought further, I recently saw this Youtube video about a future teacher who almost lost her future job because of her outfits in TikTok videos. This is an example of a situation that can make a teacher unwilling to risk making a mistake that would be judged on a global scale! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgpGeH_G0GI

2. philip pretty

Hi Meg, as a former foods teacher I can see the appeal of TikTok as resource. My wife and I frequently use it to concoct new recipes and try out new things like “Easy fridge Pickles” and “Kool Aid Pickles”. We are somewhat obsessed with onion cakes and found a wonderfully simple way to prep our own through a TikTok video. The videos are typically engaging, if only for their brevity, but more often entertaining and visually captivating. TikTok is almost like the bare minimum media stimulus to inspire.

3. Meg

I’m really interested in how TikTok can be used in my Foods classroom to help students understand simple cooking methods and recipe/kitchen hacks, but I don’t want to see like the old guy trying to be “cool”!! I am thinking this and SnapChat with their quick video and messaging connections are where to start for my A1 project. I need to wrap my head around tapping into these apps to increase student engagement. It’s another piece of technology where my students will be teaching me the ins and outs of the app’s capabilities, but I do think social media and Food are inextricably linked these days ….