Wearable technology

Wearable technology

By on August 21, 2013

Resource: The Potential Behind Wearable Gadgets

Almost all wearable sensors connect to a smartphone or tablet in some way, using the phone’s data connection as its path to the cloud, where most data processing takes place. In this article, you can get a concept of the technology behind wearable gadgets. It predicts that the best part of wearable technologies, or the more exciting concept of a “sixth sense”, is to piggyback off the technology through open APIs to create more unique user experiences. I can’t help sharing another resource about this topic, “Wearable Tech Fashion”, in which you can find different types of wearable products, use it as an index to google for more details of this technology.

4 responses to “Wearable technology”

1. TYLERSENINI

Wearable technology has become the new norm with smart watches and phones. What is coming down the pipe will be smart glasses and other wearables that help monitor and support our daily needs in life. Wearable technology evolved from the cell phones and tablets on the market today. Why carry something around when you can wear it is the moto. Technology tools have been getting smaller and smaller and easier to access. The trends seem to be that people want to always be connected to technology and networks that help them stay connected to friends and family. Consumers also want help with apps and tools that help keep their health on track. Wearables now can do all of those things. Fitbits, smartphones, smart watches all can help people with their health goals. It will be really cool to see where these go down the road. How do we use wearables in the education world? We could use smart glasses, 3D goggles to take students places outside of the classrooms without leaving their seats.

1. Lyon Tsang

Apple Glasses just leaked this week!

I’m excited for wearables to become even more prominent — it’s nice to have more premium options like Fitbits and Apple Watches, but the more diverse the “market” is the more accessible (i.e. price) things will get as well.

1. Juliano Ng

Hopefully it will be more successful than Google Glass which was developed a decade earlier but was put on hold for while. When I saw the trailer for Google Glass I was really excited but it ran into issues around privacy and cost over $1000. Google Glass has now resurfaced and has been upgraded however. One way it is being used is by helping children with autism “see” emotions so wearable technology is already starting to have some use in the educational world!

https://spectrum.ieee.org/biomedical/bionics/upgraded-google-glass-helps-autistic-kids-see-emotions

1. silvia chu

I was excited when Google Glasses came out. However, like Juliano they were pricey for me to purchase. So far, I have not switched to smart watch. They got me one, but it cannot replace my G-Shock. The issue with “wearables” it also needs to be aesthetically pleasing. Not all gadgets are as attractive. I wear glasses and I would prefer to wear glass frames that suit my style. Maybe they can have glasses functions and at the same time carry wearable technology in them.