Sololearn: learn to code on the go

Originally posted by Joyce Chan on January 24, 2017

Sololearn is a mobile app that teaches you how to code computer languages from the convenience of your mobile device.  It offers an array of the most popular coding languages including HTML, CSS, Java Script and more.  Lessons are divided into bite-size microlearning components that allows you to finish a bit at a time in whatever free time you have.  Embedded exercises and quizzes allows you to immediately apply the knowledge.  It also taps into the social aspect of mobile and gamification by allowing you to challenge others, earn badges/awards, and track your position on the leaderboard.  Having tried this app myself, I particularly enjoy reading the comments that are posted by fellow learners within each slide of the lessons.  I learn as much from them (many of whom are quite knowledgeable) as I do from the lesson itself.  I also love that people are willing to help others and no one puts anyone down for asking a question even if it may seem obvious.

One response to “Sololearn: learn to code on the go”

1. adriana silvestre

[Originally replied by bhanson on January 25, 2017]

I think this is a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I want to try this with my students. I am keen on the idea of micro-learning, especially with our on the go society. I feel that there is not enough time to sit down and devote to learning code but I am curious as to how far I could get with 3 months of micro-learning in this department. I think this will be my next experiment…thanks for sharing!