Holograms in education?

Original posted by dustin hyde on August 5, 2018

A week or so ago I was listening to favourite podcast of mine on the CBC called Under the Influence by Terry O’Reilly. This particular episode focused on Dead Celebrities and their ability to make money via advertisements for for various companies. pDead celebrities have very little to do with Mobile Technology, however, Terry spent a bit of time discussing the use of Holograms to recreate and essentially digitally reincarnate dead celebrities – in this case Tupac Shakur.  Given that it was a podcast, I couldn’t see the hologram so I went to the Internet to find the video of Tupac’s hologram.  I strongly recommend checking it out.  I won’t post it here because the video takes place at a music concert in 2012 where Tupac’s hologram appears on stage alongside Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre and as you can imagine, has many profanities.  Tupac’s hologram however, was amazing!  It was life like fully created from scratch meaning that the hologram was not a composition of Tupac’s previously recored conversations, songs, sayings, etc.  It was completely created digitally — new actions, sayings, dance moves etc.  Check out the article / podcast here:  http://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/a-list-of-the-top-earning-dead-celebrities-1.4758724

This got me thinking about the educational potential of holograms.  I teach BC First Nations studies and thought about all sorts of different applications for that particular course.  Imagine (in any course) having a hologram of a key historical figure offering authentic perspective right in the middle of the classroom.  Or a hologram of the entire volcanic process, an author reading a book in English class, or really anything! Again moving to the Internet I did a quick search to see of holograms are currently being used or forecasted for the use of education.  I came across a few interesting articles discussing the use of holograms in education. There is a school in Australia for example is piloting a hologram program with the use of Microsoft Hololens (created through Pearson [of course!]) right now where students are experiencing and learning via holographic lessons.  Check out the article here:   https://nypost.com/2017/05/02/students-in-australia-are-learning-through-holograms/

2 responses to “Holograms in education?”

1. Pascaline Natchedy

Hi Pei,
    I am also intrigued by applications of holograms in education. Actually, at the beginning of the week, I reposted a entry from a student of the last cohort who talked about using holograms for remote teaching in rural areas.She also mentioned using that technology to bring back prominent historical figures to facilitate lessons pertinent to their era or field of expertise e.g Einstein explaining physics or Darwin teaching children about the law of gravity.

2. Pei

Hologram in education – this is something with great potential for student engagement! A common conversation topic I have with students is they find it is hard to stay motivated to study for a subject when they feel they have to memorize key events or famous figures by reading though pages after pages of textbooks. Using hologram with AI means students will have the opportunity to listen and interact with people in a specific time period. This interaction will help to generate student engagement and both the visual and audio stimulation will help to retain the information better.